cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange Disk Space

Aaron Dhiman
Level 2
Level 2

I have been trying to free up some space on the Exchange Server. Last week, I used Message Store Manager to move a lot of messages (about 300 MB worth) to Deleted Items folder, and I ran the scripts to "Move Messages from Unity Dumpster to Deleted Items folder" and "Flush Messages from Deleted Items Folder".

However, when I go and check the disk space on the Exchange Server, there has been NO freeing up of space on the Exchange/MBX partition.

I don't understand why all of this space is being taken up. There are only 340 mailboxes, and they are using up 16.6 GB of space. Of all the mailboxes, only a few are using > 10 MB. Any ideas on what is taking up all the space and how to free it up?

5 Replies 5

flash2200
Level 1
Level 1

Do a search of google for "TreeSize Professional 4" and download the free trial. It will show exactly where the disk space is being used up on your server. Worth it's wait in gold...

Please rate any helpful posts!

Thx. Gave your post a good rating.

Turns out DIRT was not doing the full backup task. The transaction log was full on the Exchange server. I've scheduled a full backup with ntbackup, which should flush them out.

You could also try the following commands to shrink the UnityDB:

C:\osql -E

1>use UnityDb

2>go

1>backup log UnityDb with no_log

2>go

1>dbcc shrinkdatabase (unitydb)

2>go

exit

Well, I've given the ntbackup a shot, but it gives me an error when backing up the Exchange Message Store, and it is not purging the files in \program files\exchsrvr\MDBDATA. here is the backup error:

Backup Status

Operation: Backup

Active backup destination: File

Media name: "Media created 11/9/2007 at 9:28 AM"

Backup of "VMSTORE1\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group"

Backup set #1 on media #1

Backup description: "Set created 11/9/2007 at 9:28 AM"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 11/9/2007 at 9:28 AM.

Error: The database on the restore server must be mounted.

Backup completed on 11/9/2007 at 9:58 AM.

Directories: 3

Files: 4

Bytes: 2,594,394,662

Time: 29 minutes and 41 seconds

There is plenty of space on that drive that I am attempting to backup to. Any ideas?

When the backup is finishing, the Event Viewer error is:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: NTBackup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 8012

Date: 11/9/2007

Time: 9:58:32 AM

User: N/A

Computer: VMSTORE1

Description:

The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'The database is not mounted or does not exist.

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupOpenFile()' additional data 'C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.edb'

-----------------------

As it turns out the pub1.edb file is actually located at:

d:\progam files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb

Yes. It really is "progam" file not "program files"! Should that file actually be located at C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.edb?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: