cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping or telnet to VLAN 1 interface

jimgrumbles
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3560s I am trunking together with fiber. The trunk works fine as far as I can tell. I have two laptops setup with static IPs, one laptop on one switch, and then the other laptop on the other switch. The laptops ping each other fine however neither can ping their router's VLAN 1 interface. However when connected via a console cable to a switch, I can ping the other switch's VLAN 1 interface and telnet to it fine. I've attached the configs I'm trying to use.

They are actually a change or two old but the only differences are that I removed "switchport access vlan 100" off all the switch ports since these 3560s will be trunked off a 4506 giving them vlan 100 access. I also added "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" to the trunked Gigabit interfaces.

I must be missing something obvious here. Thank you for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't see where you have turned off ip routing on your 3560's so technically it is still setup as a router so you cannot use the ip default-gateway command , you would have to use a default static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.100.12 and get rid of the default-gateway command or you can just enter the "no ip routing" command on both switches and you can use the default-gateway and i think this will fix your problem .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

Have you checked the ip address/mask/default gw of those 2 laptopos? what are they?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't see where you have turned off ip routing on your 3560's so technically it is still setup as a router so you cannot use the ip default-gateway command , you would have to use a default static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.100.12 and get rid of the default-gateway command or you can just enter the "no ip routing" command on both switches and you can use the default-gateway and i think this will fix your problem .

Thank you! Turned off ip routing and removed the default gateway now things are working right.

dahua.huang
Level 1
Level 1

the reason is all the ports belong to Vlan 10 and your switch belong to Vlan 1,

except you set up a port to vlan 1 and connect your laptop to that port, then you can ping switch but you can not ping vlan 100.

You should setup Vlan routing if you want ping vlan 1 through vlan 100.

console is inside no any vlan problems.