Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to not get blacklisted

My company is looking to perform some mass mailing for some of our clients. We currently do POS marketing and this will just be a value-add we can provide for our customers. What I am concerned about is when we start performing mass mailings will we get blacklisted and what can I do to try to prevent that, besides not mass mailing that is.

We are looking to start out with possibly 5000 mails that may contain a coupon for selected customers. I do not think 5000 messages will get us blacklisted but never know. In the future we may get some that are 300,000 and above, and that probably will get us black listed. So, does anyone have any experience with this type of scenario and how to not get yourself thrown on a blacklist? Should I get a new domain name just for the emails? Will I be blocked by name and ip or just ip or just name?

Any help greatly appreciated before we shoot ourselves in the foot!

Dave

6 Replies 6

Assuming you are sending legitimate direct marketing mails.

1. Be responsible. Always clean up your email list when there are hard rebounce on phantom email addresses or email host destination.

2. Be well behave, be nice. Send very slowly. Like 2000 per hour per domain.

3. Have opt-out url links for real users to unsubscribe your email (of same type) in future.

Basically, i think it is not related to ironport...whether or not you try to use it to send outgoing eDM.

Just a note at the side: Have many IP addresses to send from. That does help a lot.

Cheers,

Mark

Cool. Thanks to all!

Mark, why do multiple IPs help? Overall you're sending the same amount of mail out, so any complaints get spread out over the # of IPs. I get that, but overall won't the percentage of complaints per IP remain the same?

For example, I send 100 messages out one IP and get 5 complaints. That's a 5% complaint rate.

Now I send 20 messages over 5 IPs. I get 1 complaint per IP. That's still a 5% complaint rate, but now I have 5 IPs with a high complaint rate.

This is what I don't quite get when it comes to this recommendation.

Multiple IP's won't help complaint ratio - but it will help for servers which only accept a certain number of messages per minute/hour/day per IP address.

Ok, that makes sense and that I can agree with :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: