It is EIGRP a Distance Vector protocol or Hybrid?

Unanswered Question
Nov 5th, 2007

In ICND Book from Wendell Odom it says that EIGRP is a "Hybrid mode" of Distance Vector and Link State protocols.

In the CCNP BSCI official cert guide it is stated as a Distance Vector protocol.

So, my question is, for the CCNP exam, EIGRP is a distance vector logic or hybrid mode logic?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
fightermig29 Mon, 11/05/2007 - 20:05

It evolved from IGRP. But it is enhanced IGRP. So along with being Distance Vector, it has qualities of link-state. Hence hybrid.

Hybrid for an answer can never be wrong. Distance vector may be wrong. So choose the best answer.

Kevin Dorrell Mon, 11/05/2007 - 23:06

There are two different stories: the truth, and what you should put down in the exam.

If the exam gives you the option "EIGRP is a hybrid", then go for it. It is not true, but put it down anyway.

In fact, EIGRP is a sophisticated Distance Vector algorithm, but Cisco's marketing would have you believe it is a hybrid.

Now, here I shall become controversial. If they ask what sort of protocol is OSPF, you should go for "Link-State". It is not the whole truth, but that is what you should answer.

In truth, OSPF is a hybrid! It is link-state within an area, and distance vector for inter-area and external summaries. If I had understood that right from the start, I would not have spent so long struggling with some of the concepts of OSPF - like how links are not directly visible from one area to another.

Would anyone care to discuss this point? Any counter-arguments?

Kevin Dorrell

This Discussion