Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.6 Sync Archive issues - Catalyst 6509

muttman15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I'm unable to do a config backup for two devices in our network that are both Catalyst 6509 switches. There are 6 other devices of the same model that work OK.

- LMS 2.6 using ACS integration (ACS 3.3)

I have;

- checked device packages and made sure they are up to date (MDF 1.21 and Cat6000IOS).

- checked and re-entered device credentials

- performed a "Check device Credential". This showed Telnet was OK, but Enable by Telnet not OK.

This is the message I get when trying to sync archive.

"CM0151 PRIMARY RUNNING Config fetch failed for MyDevice Cause: Unable to enter ENABLE mode from USER mode"

Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you cannot get into enable mode, and you've rechecked the credentials, the problem is most likely command authorization. Before RME enables itself, it performs the following commands:

show privilege-level

terminal length 0

terminal width 0

All of those commands must succeed. The easiest way to determine the problem for sure, though, is to get a sniffer trace of all telnet traffic to the switch when a sync archive job is running. It should then become very clear what is going wrong.

Thanks Joe. I will have to use a sniffer as those commands are coming through in the ACS logs for devices that are successful, but nothing is showing up for the unsuccessful devices in "Tacacs+ Administration active".

For others reading this post, I am troubleshooting in ACS by viewing Reports and Activities;

- Passed Authentications. This shows two lines, with privelege levels 1 and 15.

- TACACS+ Accounting active. This shows one line, with the "disc-cause" showing up as "lost-carrier"

- Tacacs+ Administration active. This shows successful commands during a Sync Archive of a device.

Hi Joe

I ran a sniffer and found that the switch was gettting into enable mode, then dropping out for some reason.

I then loaded the device into our DEV instance of RME and was able to successfully manage this device. It took me a while to work out what was different, but the Dev device was picking up the device as a 6506 rather than a 6509.

Deleting and re-entering the device into our PROD RME server worked as the device was now detected as a 6506. I'm not sure what the difference is between these models that would stop a config retrieval, but this seemed to be enough.

What I thought was strange, however, was that RME did not flag that device as "Conflicting", even thought inventory collections on this device were successful.

Cheers

HI Matthew/Joe,

I am facing the same error. can you please describe me the solution in details.

Please start a new thread for your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: