Views
Helpful
Replies

How make cable PoE for Cisco Phones

culturajoven
Level 1
Level 1

Bonjour,

I get in touch with you to make an inquiry. I have a telephone Cisco 7940, I want to use through a single Ethernet cable and power PoE. I connect the phone to a switch PoE but I do not know how is the braided cable Cat.5 before you can use them with PoE.

Please inform me how could I make the cable.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

Any standard, straight through cable should allow for PoE operation.

If your phone is not powering on when you plug in an ethernet cable, make sure your switch is set to provide PoE on that particular port.

flopez
Level 1
Level 1

the cable doesn't have any special pin configuration, it is a regular straight. it's either a config on the switch port or hardware related.

culturajoven
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I bought a switch NETGEAR ® PROSAFE ™ 8 Port FS108P (with POE), which supports the protocol IEEE 802.af.

I have my phone connected to Cisco 7940 with a cable network, but it does not work, will not ignite.

Somebody knows whether the FS108P is compatible with Cisco 7900 series phones?

Someone could tell me if a crossover cable could operate?

Best regards,

David

The 7940 is not compatible with the 802.af standard. It only works with Cisco's proprietary implementation of PoE.

I'm sure that you could change the pinout on a CAT5 to make it work, but I'm not sure which pairs are used. A crossover cable will not work, as that only swaps 1,2 with 3 and 6.

HTH,

Paul

EDIT: I just found this: http://pinouts.ru/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

So it looks like if you swap 4,5 with 7,8 it would work, but I claim no responsiblity if it blows up!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco