cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace SUP1A with SUP2 - Best method to copy configs

rsdauman13
Level 1
Level 1

I need to replace a couple of SUP1As with SUP2s and could use some advice on the best method to proceed. From what I have read here and elsewhere, it seems the best method is to stage a SUP2 in a spare chassis and apply the configs beforehand. Then, the migration would simply consist of swapping SUPs. I would like to know if this is the best course of action. Also, as to copy configs, would it be preferable to copy the configs to a flash card in my test SUP2 and then just insert that flash card into my new production SUP2. Or, is it better just to use the actual SUP2 I built in the lab. Is there a difference?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Running the newer Supervisor, for a week or so, in a spare chassis would be the best method. You can isolate any hardware and software problem within that time frame before deploying into production.

I usually transfer the configuration by using TFTP to/from my laptop between devices.

Thanks for the reply. I plan on using a spare chassis, but would really like to know if it is possible to go the flash card route in lieu of tftp. With TFTP I would need an ethernet connection; further, I would be transferring config to bootflash and, thus, have to swap card for card. Is it possible to build SUP2 in lab with new config, copy config to disk0: (flash card) and then just send that flash card to campus site where they can insert into new SUP2 and copy from disk0: to bootflash?

Thanks again!

Yes, it's possible with the commands you described.

In preparation for migrating from SUP1A to SUP2, I will be creating the new SUP2 in a lab environment (as you suggest) and then backing up the config to flash (as you suggest will also work). I would like to know how I should handle TACACS (AAA) commands on the new SUP2. Obviously, the lab router is not connected to the network, so the AAA commands in the config will not work; however, I need them in there since they will work in the production switch. Should this be a concern?

Thanks again.

Your AAA lines should have two options. First option is to contact the TACACS server, if unavailable - it should default to local authentication.

Make sure to have local accounts in the device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: