cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace SUP1A with SUP2 - Best method to copy configs

rsdauman13
Level 1
Level 1

I need to replace a couple of SUP1As with SUP2s and could use some advice on the best method to proceed. From what I have read here and elsewhere, it seems the best method is to stage a SUP2 in a spare chassis and apply the configs beforehand. Then, the migration would simply consist of swapping SUPs. I would like to know if this is the best course of action. Also, as to copy configs, would it be preferable to copy the configs to a flash card in my test SUP2 and then just insert that flash card into my new production SUP2. Or, is it better just to use the actual SUP2 I built in the lab. Is there a difference?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Running the newer Supervisor, for a week or so, in a spare chassis would be the best method. You can isolate any hardware and software problem within that time frame before deploying into production.

I usually transfer the configuration by using TFTP to/from my laptop between devices.

Thanks for the reply. I plan on using a spare chassis, but would really like to know if it is possible to go the flash card route in lieu of tftp. With TFTP I would need an ethernet connection; further, I would be transferring config to bootflash and, thus, have to swap card for card. Is it possible to build SUP2 in lab with new config, copy config to disk0: (flash card) and then just send that flash card to campus site where they can insert into new SUP2 and copy from disk0: to bootflash?

Thanks again!

Yes, it's possible with the commands you described.

In preparation for migrating from SUP1A to SUP2, I will be creating the new SUP2 in a lab environment (as you suggest) and then backing up the config to flash (as you suggest will also work). I would like to know how I should handle TACACS (AAA) commands on the new SUP2. Obviously, the lab router is not connected to the network, so the AAA commands in the config will not work; however, I need them in there since they will work in the production switch. Should this be a concern?

Thanks again.

Your AAA lines should have two options. First option is to contact the TACACS server, if unavailable - it should default to local authentication.

Make sure to have local accounts in the device.