cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA VPN Authentication

gates1150
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up a new ASA with VPN access and am trying to decide which authentication method to use LDAP or RADIUS. I was wondering if there were any pros or cons to either way. I'm trying to control access by Active Directory Group.

30 Replies 30

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

Not sure about any advantages/disadvantages to either but since you are authenticating against AD it would be simple for you to set up IAS on your domain controller.

From my own opinion, the advantage of using AD as the authentication server is that, passwords can expire after a number of days. Well, it still really depends on the password policy of your domain. That is one of the disadvantage of using Cisco ACS, the password won't expire after few days or months.

Regards,

John

lambiase
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with AD and testing out both the IAS RADIUS and the LDAP for SSL VPN, and there are a few differences.

SSL VPN in clientless mode allows for password management, so the end-user can update their pw from the login page.

LDAP allows you to notify the user X number of days before the pw expires and allow them to change it (# of days is configurable; secure LDAP is required, but not hard to set up).

RADIUS, again per the documentation, can only notify the user, and allow them to change the password, when it expires.

I am also trying to configure framed-ip-addresses, so that as users log in via the SSL VPN Client (AnyConnect), they will always get the same IP address. I can get the framed IP to work with RADIUS, but not LDAP.

LDAP also works very nicely with DAP in the SSL VPN, too, which allows you to add functionality to the profile assigned to a user a login based on AD group membership.

These are a few of the differences that I have found, so far.

Can you control access by group with LDAP? I was able to get it to work but haven't gotten it working by AD group.

This seems to be doable, but I have not done it here (I am running SSL VPN and using DAP, which certainly works with AD groups).

It looks like you configure an LDAP attribute map to the IETF-Radius-Class, (and then map your AD groups to ASA groups if the group names do not already match). See page 13-15 and Appendix E in the CLI Config Guide.

I've had it working just doesn't go by group. I'll keep digging thanks for the reply.

Hello,

I am in the same situation as you. I am currently using IAS on my Windows 2003 DC to authenticate remote users (IPSec VPN tunnel)via the Radius protocol. I was able to sucessfully authenticate users against Active Directory.

Now, the real issue is that we have a lot of remote users and they need to be able to change their Domain Passwords if they expire, or get notifications when their passwords are about to expire.

I was confused on what you posted: " RADIUS, again per the documentation, can only notify the user, and allow them to change the password, when it expires."

When using the RADIUS protocol over an IPSec VPN tunnel, are remote users able to change their passwords? Or only get notified when the password expires ? Thanks in advance.

Same here.

Am using IAS and PIX and need my users to be able to be notified and allowed to change there password in AD.

Thanks.

I don't think you can do it with a PIX. You have to be on an ASA.

Check the documentation for the version of PIX you are running. I don't believe what you are trying to do is possible with a PIX.

If you look in the ASDM under your connection profile for your Remote Access users. Look under Advanced there's an option "Enable notification upon password expiration to allow user to change password".

That's the only place I can see to try and make it work.

I have read posts that say that using RADIUS it is NOT possible to use the password managment feature. Is that true?

I don't know I haven't tried to enable the feature. Are you running the latest ASA version?

My ASA is running 7.2(2). If you run across any documentation regarding password managment via Radius, please share. I've come across LDAP Authorization that allows this, but not RADIUS. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: