640-801 FINALLY!!!

Unanswered Question
Nov 6th, 2007

I PASSED! I took it about a month ago and missed it 2 points (I got SLAMMED by STP & VTP!) Then I went back on my first re-take day and dropped about 68 more points. At this point I was VERY frustrated and almost had the wind knocked out of my sails. So I rescheduled for today and the third time was a charm. When I first started studying, I was reading the old version of Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 that was given to me by my co-worker who is a CCIE. I became intimidated by its advanced knowledge so I stopped reading that and started reading Todd Lammle's Sybex book. In hindsight, that was the biggest mistake I could've made! Not knocking Todd Lammle's book, but that advanced level of knowledge was just what I needed. I read two chapters of the CCIE Cisco LAN Switching book in studying for my re-take today, and the STP/VTP questions were a breeze. From here on out, I will always study a level up from the test I'm trying to take. I also PLEDGE to only use Cisco Press books from now on! On to CCNP, CCSP, then the ultimate!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Thanks for the advice to read more in depth material for the test you are taking than you need. This happened to me too. I was very intrigued by the routing protocols when studying for my CCNA and I got some PDFs from the Cisco website about EIGRP, OSPF and the rest and they were very good. Very in depth.

Now I have a very good understanding of these protocols, more so than I needed for the exam. But it is good... as I study for my CCNP, the CCNP covers them in greater detail.

arie-rechtschaffer Fri, 11/16/2007 - 06:05

Thanks for the tip. I had the older CCNA certification that ended with 607 and I would like to take the new CCNA 640-802 exam but I think there is not enough good study materials for it yet. However, since the 640-801 is no longer available, all of the training material related to it is now becoming very chip. So I was wondering, what would be the best material to buy to pass the 640-802 exam? Are Cisco books better than Sybex for all Cisco certifications? The reason I am asking is because after I got my 607 certification, I tried to go for the CCNP of that period and I used Cisco Press book to study. I aced the practice exam that came with it and I though I'm going to pass the real exam with no problems but I failed it miserably! I never tried to go for the CCNP since. Now I want to redo my CCNA so I can advance into the CCSP and I need all the help I can get because I have very little experience with telecom equipment. Thanks for all the advice you can give me.

brian_wetter Sun, 11/25/2007 - 16:21

Studying a level above you are trying to achieve is a great way to go. I took the 801 exam at the beginning of the year by only studying what I thought I needed to know and failed by missing that 50 or 60 points or so that studying above my head would have gotten me. I changed my study habits by reading the CCIE Routing TCP/IP book (before mentioned) and an old version of the CCIE Cisco LAN Switching book and just passed the 802 exam quite easily. (even with the "new" IOS that the 2950 has that wasn't covered in my LAN switching book.) Honestly, the 801 material for studying is still valid, but focus on OSPF, VLANs & VTP, and how to confgure NAT translations and you've got a good shot. Add to that mix a little bit of understanding of the WLAN requirement and you increase your shot even more. I'd say that the exams 801 and 802 are equally hard, but study more than you think you need to and you should pass.

One other thing. . . the new simulation tasks in the exam seem to be taken from NetSim where you actually have to complete a network design and THEN configure it. It is a great way to review Layer 1 through Layer 3 troubleshooting. I liked the change.

This Discussion