cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager Discovery and NAT

paul.coley
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any issues using NAT and discovery?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is not something that can easily be fixed in LMS. It needs to be fixed by adding an ALG to, for example, Cisco IOS NAT. The problem with that is that an IP PDU can show up in just about any object, so the ALG would need to be aware of the entire MIB tree (or at least support addition of objects that contain embedded addresses).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Absolutely. There is currently no ALG for SNMP, so the embedded IP address in the SNMP CISCO-CDP-MIB PDUs will not be translated. The result will be that Campus Device Discovery will try to contact devices by their un-NATed addresses, and this will fail.

Thats not too good in my scenario...it means alot of manual entry. Was this NAT issue fixed in any of the latest releases of CIscoworks?

This is not something that can easily be fixed in LMS. It needs to be fixed by adding an ALG to, for example, Cisco IOS NAT. The problem with that is that an IP PDU can show up in just about any object, so the ALG would need to be aware of the entire MIB tree (or at least support addition of objects that contain embedded addresses).

We currently use a product called IND Peregrine Network Discovery and it discovers based on SNMP and has no issue with dicovery via NAT. Since I am building this new Ciscoworks server I would like to know if I can import the device database from this third party product into Ciscoworks LMS 2.6

This would possibly save me a tonne of manual work regarding playing around with seed file and local host file.

As long as you can export the device list and credentials into a CSV format that is compatible with the one DCR expects, you can certain use the third party data in LMS.

Though I am curious how this tool could do SNMP-based discovery of NAT'd devices. The same problems faced by Campus would have to affect this tool. That is, any IP addresses in embedded PDUs (e.g. ARP table, CDP cache, etc.) would not be translated. The only way I imagine it could work is if you specified a mapping file to tell it how to translate the inside addresses to global addresses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: