cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS to IOS conversion without RP

rlortiz
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cat 6509 with a WS-SUP32-GE-3B and want to convert the CatOS to IOS. We need to know if we can do the conversion, since we don't have a Route Processor implemented on the switch infrastructure. This environment consists of pure layer 2 switches with stand alone switch processors and no routing capabilities. Everything we've read shows navigating into the RP to load the new image. Would we be capable of converting to IOS in this instance?

Thanks for any help..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm sorry, it's not possible to migrate to IOS without a Route Processor.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm sorry, it's not possible to migrate to IOS without a Route Processor.

I wasn't aware the Sup32 came without an MSFC2A regardless of whether it shipped with Native IOS or Hybrid software? If it is possible to buy it WITHOUT an MSFC2A then ignore my next comments....

Even though you are not using the MSFC2A on your Sup32 it is still there. You can still convert your Sup32 to Native IOS and still use it as a Layer-2 device.

HTH

Andy

I am not at the remote site, but this is the show module for the CAT 6509:

Here's the list of modules within the chassis:

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- ---

--------

1 1 48 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet WS-X6148A-GE-TX no ok

2 2 48 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet WS-X6148A-GE-TX no ok

3 3 48 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet WS-X6148A-GE-TX no ok

4 4 48 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet WS-X6148A-GE-TX no ok

5 5 9 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-SUP32-GE-3B yes ok

6 6 48 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet WS-X6148A-GE-TX no ok

That supervisor comes with a Policy Feature Card 3B (PFC3B).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_bulletin0900aecd801ff3ee.html

You can upgrade from CatOS to IOS without problems.

The MSFC2A should appear as a Sub module in Slot 15 if running Hybrid software. Try to session from the Supervisor into slot 15

session 15

That should present you with a login for the MSFC2A. If that doesn't work it is possible the MSFC2A is in Rommon. Try:

switch console

That should present you with either the MSFC2A normal IOS prompt (as with the session 15 command) or with a rommon prompt.

HTH

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: