Is there a guide to different cert tracks?

Unanswered Question
Nov 6th, 2007

Hi, I've just passed my Associate exams but not sure which track to follow. Ideally, I would like to do the design course and add security to it. I wonder if there is a guide Cisco offers to guide people on which trakcs they can offer. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
keller.oliver Wed, 11/07/2007 - 00:39

There is no track connecting the different certifications.

For certain certs you have prerequisites, CCNA in most of the cases.

But after that you're free to combine whatever you like.

Since the CCDP includes 2 of the 4 CCNP courses, it may be a good idea to go CCNA-CCDA-CCNP-CCDP-CCSP. That's what I'm thinking about ;).

Since CCSP has no overlapping courses with CCNP or CCDP, it is a completely different cup of tea. But if you want to do good security, you should understand WHAT you want to secure, i.e. know more about routing and switching.

HTH,

Oliver

jeff.hardee Wed, 11/07/2007 - 09:32

I'd suggest taking CCNP *before* attempting the CCDA. The CCDA assumes you have some knowledge found in the CCNP track (in my opinion, about half of it). Also, design exams in general are for those who have a good handle on the technology and can look at it from another perspective (i.e. business and technical goals and constraints). If you want to combine routing/switching with security with design, this may be a better sequence: CCNA - CCNP - CCDA - CCSP - CCDP.

The CCDA is a bear of an exam. I'd hate to see others pull their hair out like I did because they weren't prepared for it. Now that I finished my CCNP, I wish I had waited to take the CCDA afterwards.

--Jeff

RamyElSisy Wed, 11/07/2007 - 11:06

Probably you will be familiar with below link content but I need to add that you have to choose the track that you like. I mean the track you will find yourself in it.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

If all tracks are equal for you, then choose the “hottest” track. The track that has more demanding market opportunities as follows Voice, Security, RS, ISP

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Ramy Sisy

CCIE#17321 (Security), CCSI#30417, CCNP, C|EH, C|HFI, ISS-CA, MCSE, MCT

CCIE Security Content Manager/

Technical Instructor

Network Learning Inc - A Cisco Sponsored Organization (SO) YES! We take Cisco Learning credits!

Actions

This Discussion