cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using hsrp and routing protocol

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone tell me how the traffic will flow if I have 2 sites, they have 2 routers each, 1 primary and 1 backup, the active hsrp router routes via the e1. the backup uses the isdn, i would like to know how the routing protocol, eigrp would use the isdn on the other router if the e1 went down, would the pri router learn routes from the backup router to go via that link id the primary is down ?

1 Reply 1

greg.day
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using HSRP tracking on your e1 interface on both ends of the link? Is the link point-to-point, frame, MPLS? That could determine whether or not both ends of the link appear down. If they both register as down during a failure, then HSRP tracking will swing the virtual address over to the secondary router on both ends. If not, eigrp will use your internal interface (or direct connection between your routers) to pass the traffic to the secondary router. I'd recommend tracking as it will maintain a consistent optimal path for your traffic on both ends.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: