snooter
Level 1
Level 1

Planning our upgrade..

Current machine:

Unity 4.0(2)

Windows 2000 SP3

Exchange 2000

This is just an VM machine, NO unified applications..

Target Machine (totally sepereate):

Unity 5.0(1)

Windwos 2003 R2

Exchange 2003 (possibly 2007)

From what I've read in Cisco doc's and going back through the forum here this doesn't sound to difficult (I don't think).

Here's my plan:

1. On the new to-be 5.0 server, Install Unity 4.x and make this server as identical as possible to the current prodcution machine.

2. DIRT the current machine and restore to the to-be 5.0 machine (currently 4.0(2))

3. Once DIRT Restore is done - upgrade to 5.0

a. Get 5.0 License File

b. Upgrade Exchange

c. Upgrade Unity

Simply as that?

Or, would I better off upgrading our current machine to the latest - doing an In Place Upgrade - and then moving to the new server?

I'll keep rearching, but if anyone has a good doc or an upgrade check list they used, that'd be great!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

You cannot inplace upgrade your Unity server from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003. This is not supported. In addition, Unity 4.0(4) is the minimum for running with Windows 2003. I could be wrong, but I don't think Exchange 2007 is supported for onbox Exchange, and in addition you would need to be running Windows 2003 64bit version to support Exchange 2007. On the new server, I would go Windows 2003 SP2, since R2 = SP1. Check out this 5.x doc - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge020.html

Therefore, I would:

1. Upgrade your current Unity server to 4.0(4)

2. Install new server with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. Install Unity 4.0(4) on new server in demo mode to test.

3. DiRT backup current production server

4. DiRT restore to new server

5. Upgrade Unity on new server to 5.x

You mentioned voicemail only, but no voice cards I assume.

Ginger

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

You cannot inplace upgrade your Unity server from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003. This is not supported. In addition, Unity 4.0(4) is the minimum for running with Windows 2003. I could be wrong, but I don't think Exchange 2007 is supported for onbox Exchange, and in addition you would need to be running Windows 2003 64bit version to support Exchange 2007. On the new server, I would go Windows 2003 SP2, since R2 = SP1. Check out this 5.x doc - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge020.html

Therefore, I would:

1. Upgrade your current Unity server to 4.0(4)

2. Install new server with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. Install Unity 4.0(4) on new server in demo mode to test.

3. DiRT backup current production server

4. DiRT restore to new server

5. Upgrade Unity on new server to 5.x

You mentioned voicemail only, but no voice cards I assume.

Ginger

Thanks Ginger.

This might be a stupid question, but how exactly do I upgrade unity from 4.0(2) to 4.0(4) now? I've went through the aviablable downloads for Unity 4.0 and they're all service packs/releases. I've used the product upgrade tool to get our Unity 5.x ordered, so I went back in there....everything is for moving to 5.x.

Does installing those service releases and updates justify a Unity upgrade?

Hi -

If you have Unity SASU (software assurance) purchased, you can download the CDs from these links:

1. http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/unity-40, then click on the hyperlink that says "Images of Unity 4.0 CDs".

2. Then enter your user profile login/password and accept the agreement to get to this page - http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Tablebuild/tablebuild.pl/4yutni0

(the url looks mis-spelled but is correct).I see the 4.0(4)SR1 is out there, but I would recommend going directly to 4.0(5). Even if you are on this release for awhile pending build of the Windows 2003 server, 4.0(5) was a very stable release for us. If I recall, 4.0(5) CD1 is the base that contains the CUSPA and bulk of Unity install files and CD3 was the system prompts. Depending on how your system is built, you may need more than these.

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: