cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice needed for VPN connections

acldsystems
Level 1
Level 1

OK to first describe what I'm looking at .We have a bookmobile that goes to 13 different locations within our county. At each stop we are using the service provider's DSL modem to connect to their network, we have two different providers and staff changes the modem at each stop, and a Cisco831 router to make a VPN connection to our PIX. We are using the router to make the VPN connection so that we can have two staff computers use internal network resources i.e. Library database, network drives, e-mail. We tried using Cisco VPN client on the local machine but when we have two clients going on two machines at the same time neither would work. So we let the router make that connection.

We are going to have two bookmobiles operating and I need to purchase another router to make the connection and I am wondering which router would be a better solution for us.

So for me the question is

1) should I keep things as they are and buy a 871 and have staff change modems as needed

2) Should I get an 877, 878 router and make configuration changes daily as needed. Staff have not been able to do this in past. I've enough to do without this!

3) Up for any suggestions Maybe SDM with a pretty GUI for staff to use. It seems Cisco's CLI was too much for them.

Thanks to all for any help

Systems A

2 Replies 2

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

"We tried using Cisco VPN client on the local machine but when we have two clients going on two machines at the same time neither would work."

-You most likely just needed to enable nat-traversal on your pix.

No Nat-traversal is enabled.

When we tried multiple VPN connections it was through a DSL modem/router. This is why we went to a Cisco831 router and having it make the secure connection to our PIX.

Thanks for you help