cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot telnet to 2950 or ping out from 2950

djgizmo250
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to telnet to a 2950, but was not able to this morning. I tried to ping is DNS name and its IP address, but I am not able to. I consoled into the switch and tried to ping our router with no success. I reloaded the switch and has the same results. How can I fix this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

How is the 2950 configured? What is its IP address? Does it have a default-gateway configured? How is the switch connected to the router? Is the switch port connecting to the router configured as an access port or as a trunk? Does the 2950 have just a single VLAN or does it have multiple VLANs?

Without knowing these details that would be very useful, my first guess is that the 2950 does not have a default-gateway configured or that the configured default-gateway does not match up with the router configuration. My second guess would be that there may be a mismatch between switch configuration and router configuration for address and subnet mask.

Provide us with some details and we may be able to find the answer to your problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

How is the 2950 configured? What is its IP address? Does it have a default-gateway configured? How is the switch connected to the router? Is the switch port connecting to the router configured as an access port or as a trunk? Does the 2950 have just a single VLAN or does it have multiple VLANs?

Without knowing these details that would be very useful, my first guess is that the 2950 does not have a default-gateway configured or that the configured default-gateway does not match up with the router configuration. My second guess would be that there may be a mismatch between switch configuration and router configuration for address and subnet mask.

Provide us with some details and we may be able to find the answer to your problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ah, found it! VLAN1 was in a shutdown state.

Michael

Thank you for posting to the thread and confirming what caused the problem. And thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that they will read a solution to the problem.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

get2dapsy
Level 1
Level 1

Why don't you the access list config on the network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco