cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot change identity type on 3750 switch in CiscoWorks

apais
Level 1
Level 1

have been trying with little success to reset the switch identity type in CiscoWorks from a "Cisco 3750 Stack" to a "Cisco 3750-24ts". Every time it is modified, after a few seconds the type switches back to the "stack" type. I have even tried removing the device(s) and re-adding them to CW but the same thing occurs. The unit is in fact not a stack but a single switch unit. Is this behavior being caused from the unit's IOS? ((C3750-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(25)SEB1) or is there a configuration item that I have missed that should allow it to appear as a single unit to CW?

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't do this. The device's sysObjectID dictates the device type. Changing it will not work as that will put the device in a conflicting state. For the 3750s, you can tell the device to use a different sysObjectID (but this is not recommended). To do that, use the command:

no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid

Then you need to reload the switch.

So, even the single switch units will report as being a 3750 stack instead of the specific model that the individula switch is?

Yes, and this is really what LMS expects. Little to no testing was done with the switches using their individual sOIDs.

Ok, good to know..I ran into this when one of my folks was trying to update code on a single unit and CW kept complaining that we needed a "tar" file which is what the stacks used versus the plain .bin image.