cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why I can't ping from Vlan2? - easy question

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi folks, I am just goofing on this. I forgot how to solve this. Please see attached configuration for router and layer 2 switch:

If I setup a workstation1,IP=161.59.241.72,MASK=255.255.255.192,DEFAULT_GATEWAY=161.59.241.68 I have connectivity OK, I can ping the router, etc.

Now I want a machine connected to switch- VLAN2 to be able to communicate as well.

Then On port 6, set for VLAN2, I put a machine with IP=161.59.241.131,MASK=255.255.255.192,DEFAULT GATEWAY=161.59.241.130. I have no connectivity.

I noticed that the VLAN2 in the switch remains administratively shutdown, even if I do no shut.

What I am missing here? How should I setup my switch and which default gateway information should I use in my client machine on vlan2 to make this intervlan routable?

3 Replies 3

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

For an L3 SVI to go up , you have to have one port in spanning-tree forwarding state . In this case , it seems like you do not have vlan 2 defined at all. Please go to the global config mode and type this.

vlan 2

exit

show spanning-tree vlan 2

Once you see the port goes into fwd status , the vlan interface should come up at that point

Thanks

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As in your duplicate post if this is a true layer 2 switch like a 2950 or 2960 then you will need a layer 3 device like a router or a layer2/3 switch to route between the vlans . A layer 2 switch address is to manage the switch only so you can only have a single SVI on a switch in the up state.

Sorry if I didn't mention this:

the router is doing the routing. if you see the attached configuration, you will see that I defined dot1q for vlan1 and vlan2.