cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4400 Controllers - Manage multiple AP MODELS?

timkaye
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All.

Hoping someone can nip this query iin the bud very quickly and easily!?

I've a customer using a controller managing like AP's.

They are looking to roll out 1510 or 1522 (depends on availability and the answer to my question).

The question is will a single 4400 controller manage both 1510, 1522 and say 1242 lightweight AP's?

I understand 1510's should exist only as MAP's in a meshed environment if you wish to use 1522's (using 1522 as RAP's)

Love any input from people using a 4400 and able to tell me issues/likes/dislikes etc

Thanks all!

3 Replies 3

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Effective this month, Cisco diverged the code versions and created a separate version of code to run MESH only. What this means in a nutshell is that you must use one controller to run MESH and one to run indoor APs. You can still use the older versions of code to continue to support 1510s and indoor APs but you will not receive support from Cisco. The "train" as it is called was separated due to MESH development slowing down the internal AP code development. The official marketing line is that this will allow for quicker development of new features for the 1520 series MESH APs. The train is scheduled to remerge in 12-18 months so that once again you could use one controller to manage both indoor and outdoor APs. Don't hold your breath on that one. In either case, you still manage both indoor and outdoor controllers from a common version of WCS. I hope that answers your question.

Not quite... Indoor APs are fully supported currently in the "mesh" release train, but the feature functionality for indoor, non-mesh APs is currently based on the 4.1.x release.

We have released the 4.2.x code for indoor APs a week or so ago, so there is some feature functionality not yet available in the Mesh release. We will sync functionality again in the future. Check with your Cisco account reps for the details.

Thanks for the replies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card