cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modify Unity Sign In? Unity ver 4.2(1)

kegodfrey
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a query regarding accessing Unity remotely and changing the options following Sign In. At present when I connect remotely, hit *, I then enter in my extension & pin, I'm then given various options. Is it possible to modify this so when I sign in following pressing *, entering ext/pin, I just go straight through to my new messages and dont get offered options? I've been digging about some Unity guides and cant seem to find a definitive answer.

14 Replies 14

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kenny,

Using this setting speeds things up a fair bit, but it will not eliminate all prompt info. This is about the best you can do;

Specifying That Cisco Unity Play New Messages Automatically

By default, subscribers hear the Main menu after they log on to Cisco Unity. You can customize the conversation so that Cisco Unity plays new messages instead. When you do, subscribers no longer have to press a key to play new messages ("Press 1 for new messages") because Cisco Unity begins playing them automatically.

Otherwise, the conversation that subscribers hear sounds and acts the same:

Cisco Unity plays the subscriber recorded name, alternate greeting notification, new message counts, and the Message Type menu as specified.

System broadcast messages, full mailbox warnings, reminders to reset passwords, and other such prompts are likewise played before Cisco Unity begins playing new messages.

Subscribers must indicate whether they want to save or delete the message before Cisco Unity plays the next new message.

Subscribers can exit message playback to hear the Main menu at any time.

If subscribers have no new messages, the Main menu is played as usual.

To specify that Cisco Unity plays new messages automatically in a template or for an individual subscriber, do the following procedure. (To do so for a group of subscribers, you can use the Bulk Edit tool available in Tools Depot.) Note that neither the Cisco Unity Assistant nor the Cisco Unity conversation offer a way for subscribers to make the change themselves.

After you enable the feature, consider providing the information in the "Checking Messages by Phone When Cisco Unity Plays New Messages Automatically" section on page 8-2 to applicable subscribers so they understand what to expect when they log on to Cisco Unity to check messages by phone.

To Specify That Cisco Unity Play New Messages Automatically in a Subscriber Template or for an Individual Subscriber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In the Cisco Unity Administrator, go to the applicable page:

To modify the template you will use to create subscriber accounts, go to any Subscribers > Subscriber Template page, and find the template that you want to modify. Then browse to the Conversation page.

To modify an existing subscriber account, go to any Subscribers > Subscribers page and find the applicable subscriber. Then browse to the Conversation page.

Step 2 Check the New Messages Automatically check box.

Step 3 Click the Save icon.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/41/addendum/41ad25.html#wp1051030

Hope this helps!

Rob

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

I have a TAC SR open for this same issue I think.

SR 606498701 - After upgrading to Unity 4.2(1), Conversation changed

I am not sure that Cisco even realizes there is a problem yet. I have been trying to prove it to them

anyway you should follow this sr and I will post also to the forum.

rlp

The problem is that the converstation of the main menu is different and doesn't make sence. you are asked to either leave a message for yourself or go to voicemail.

check the sr for details.

rlp

Randy, please see your TAC case, I have provided a suggestion that you may be interested in.

As for Kenny, he hasn't provided enough information yet to determine if he is having the same expirience as you.

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kenny, could you be more speciffic about which options you are being offered and the desired behavior.

If you are logging in to your mailbox from your own personal greeting vs. logging in from the main auto attendant or company greeting, you may be hearing diffrent options.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. The user is logging into their own personal greeting/extension from the PSTN, hearing the start of it and then pressing *. At this point they are getting two options, option 1 is to leave a message, and option 2 is to listen to messages. What they want to happen when they connect to their messages from the PSTN is to enter * at their greeting, then their extension/pin for their mailbox and then immediately hear new messages, with no options prior to this. This is the way it worked prior to a recent upgrade.

Thanks again for the feedback/assistance.

There may have been a change in behavior between Cisco Unity 4.0(5) and Cisco Unity 4.2(1), I believe the behavior you are

expiriencing is the expected behavior. That said I have a suggestion you may wish to try:

For a given subscriber, change the one key dial action for the * (star) key to go to "Easy Sign In" instead of "Sign In".

Now when someone dials that subscribers DID number and forwards to that subscribers greeting and then hits * (star), they will simply be asked for their password and then be immediately logged in to their mailbox.

Easy Sign in assumes you are the owner of the mailbox greeting you are currently hearing so it doesnt even ask for your mailbox number.

Perhaps this will be an even better solution than the behavior you had in Cisco Unity 4.0(5).

Chris,

Thanks for looking into this.

So I created at call handler called remote login and the greeting in “blank” and the after greeting action is “send caller to sign in”.

The call handler has a alternate extension which is a DID.

I call the DID and the action/conversation is exactly like it was in Unity 4.05

So I still think we are hitting the same issue.

For me I have already investigated easy message sign-in and am trying to get buyin on it.

In the mean time, is there a way to call their DID numbers instead of the the remote login DID that I gave the call handler?

rlp

Hi Chris, thanks for the feedback. I've had a chat with the customer and they were not enthusiastic on the idea. Its not so much the logging in and entering the extenstion/pin, its more the menu options following successful login, rather than just playing the new messages which is what they had prior to the upgrade. Is there any other way around this?

Kenny,

If you did the callhandler workaround that I posted earlier, it it is exactly like 4.05

this is a good workaround however, the conversation has changed for external logins and I would like to have this either fixed or a better explanation, you are right.

rlp

If you use "Easy Sign" not only will it not ask for their ID, just there password, they will be immediately logged in and not asked to press 1 to leave a message or press 2 to login.

That said....

I did some testing today and there does appear to be a bug.

My testing was done with Cisco Unity 4.1(1) which seems to be the same behavior you claim to have had in 4.0(5). Here is what I found:

If you press star to login to your mailbox at a subscribers greeting, and if the extension ID you enter is the "same" as the extension ID for the mailbox greeting you are currently in, then you are logged in to the mailbox and "not" asked to press 1 to leave a message or press to 2 to login to your mailbox.

If you press star to login to your mailbox at a subscribers greeting, and if the extension ID you enter is "different" from the extension ID for the mailbox greeting you are currently in, then you are asked to press 1 to leave a message or press to 2 to login to your mailbox.

This seems like desired behavior.

Next I tested with Cisco Unity 5.0(1) which seems to behave differently as you claim to be experiencing in Cisco Unity 4.2(1). Here is what I found:

If you press star to login to your mailbox at a subscribers greeting, and regardless if the extension ID you enter is the "same or different" than the extension ID for the mailbox greeting you are currently in, you are asked to press 1 to leave a message or press to 2 to login to your mailbox.

This behavior seems wrong based off of the behavior in earlier versions, a bug should be submitted.

Chris

I created the following defect.

Please open a TAC case and reference:

CSCsl24837 - SubSign In from personal greeting logic is incorrect.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsl24837

Been out of the office for a few days, so apologies for not getting back sooner. Thanks for your help guys, greatly appreciated. I'll wait and see if there is an update on the TAC case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: