cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch mac address learning

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, am i right in saying that if I had 2 switches plugged together, each switch wouldnt know about each others mac addresses until a host is passed through the uplink, can anyone tell me how the switch knows to use the uplink to find the yet un found mac address, does the switch forward the broadcast from the pc, then its learnt ?

1 Reply 1

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

You are right - they do not communicate their MAC tables to each other. The time a switch learns about a device connected to another switch is when a packet hits *that* switch.

Normally a broadcast will be carried across all switches in the VLAN, so when a PC arps, all switches will hear about it and add it to their tables. If after (by default) 5 mins, no traffic from said device hits the switch, it wll be removed from te table (cam aging).

So, with a simple network of two switches and everything in VLAN1, and three systems - A, B and C. A wants to talk to B. A&B are in switch 1, C in switch 2.

It sends a broadcast (ARP) which gets flooded to B, and via switch 2 and this seen by B. Switch 1 adds A to the address table, as does switch 2 - pointing at the inter switch link.

B unicasts the ARP response to A. Switch 1 adds B to the table and forwards the response to A as A is in the table. This does not get sent to switch 2. A&B talk to each other and the traffic is constrained to switch 1. After 5 mins the entry for A in switch two ages out and is removed.

A then starts to purely stream data to B. B does not bneed to respond. A stays in the table, but after 5 mins, B ages out. At that point, the traffic will be sent to switch 2, and seen by C as no switch knows where B is.

Because of whatever imaginary application is sending all this data, C sends a "quench" message to A. This gets flooded everywhere. the address of C is added to tables. A Acknowledges and responds, but carries on sending the traffic. As B is not in the table, the traffic is still flooded, but my totally imaginary application does somethin useful. It triggers a packet that gets a response from B. That puts B back in the filter table of switch1, and stops the traffic being flooded. If B sends anything o B, it will be flooded on switch 2, including to 1, but on 1 it will be sent only to B. any response to C will then put B in both tables.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card