Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing

pmarques
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a client that has his IP Telephony solution running in Cisco CallManager 4.2. He has now purchased Cisco Unified Communications 5.1. I know there's is no direct upgrade from 4.2 to 5.1. So I'll have to rebuild the database to the new 5.1 server. Even though it's cumbersome it is pretty straightforward.

My big issue is related to licenses. Obviously the client has the licenses associated with the phones on 4.2. But how do I convert that, without DMA, to some .lic file for 5.1?

Any ideas if this is possible? If it is, how can I do it?

TIA,

5 Replies 5

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Once you have registered the 5.1 software and the Cisco rep can see its valid, you just send an email to licesing with the required number of units you currently have.

therefore,

1. Register the PAK for CCM 5.X - Node License - this is what you get with teh software

2. Work out the amount of phones you currently have by units - 7911 - 3, 41-61 - 4 etc. send that to licesning with the CCOID of the customer and you should be able to get all the licensing.

Note - they convert and send you the .lic file , you dont convert it yourself.

PS. Make sure you download and install the latest CCM 5.1 upgrades before deploying. i got the 5.1.1000 version which had soe issues (backup etc).

Hi a.gooding,

So it is as easy as counting the number of phones in the client's server. I thought there would a more "professional" way of doing it. With some sort of tool or something alike.

I'll try that approach.

cheers,

Pedro Marques

that is exactly what i did as i did the same thing as you are doing a couple of months aback. was confused as i couldnt use the DMA so after searching the procedure above is what i saw.

Also, its not counting the number of phones per say - its the number of UNITS.

so for example - 7911 is 3 units and that is what you request.

The DMA does it but as we realize we dont run the DMA becuase there isnt any upgrade path.

Our cisco representative assisted us with this as well so if you are having any issues they are the best persons to help out.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Pedro,

Just wanted to add a short note to the great info from Arvind. One cautionary note to keep in mind that this customer may not have fully thought through is that the Feature set in CCM 5.x is not the same as the Feature set in CCM 4.2 If the customer is using some of these features in 4.2 they won't be happy with the 5.x train :(

Here is a DLU overview;

Device licenses are sold in increments of device-license units (DLU's). Device-license units are assigned to each device connected to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0. Each device is assigned a unit number based on the type and capabilities of the device. Devices with more complex and high-end capabilities are assigned a higher number of units compared to devices with basic capabilities,

Here is the DLU breakdown;

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G = 1

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G = 2

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7912G = 3

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920 (no battery) = 4

Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7936 = 3

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7940G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7960G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7961G-GE = 4

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971G = 5

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7985G = 6

Third-party SIP device (basic) = 3 (third-party)

Third-party SIP device (advanced) = 6 (third-party

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks.

I already have that info, taken directly from a 5.1 CCM ;)

And I'm familiar with the differences regarding features on both releases.

The only major doubt I had is already answered and on its way to become solved (hopefully).

cheers,

Pedro Marques

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: