cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP V3 and PVST support on LMS 2.6

rgomes
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up SNMP V3 on the devices that are being monitored with LMS 2.6.

After that I have rediscovered to populate the Engine IDs and updated all credentials adding SNMP V3 credentials.

All that I could see was fine except the Spanning Tree VLAN Filter application on the Campus Topology.

The LMS 2.6 docs says nothing about setting vlan contexts when using SNMP V3.

I have found instead on the LMS 3.0 deployment guide the info for the case of CatOS for PVST, MST and MISTP with different commands for each case.

On this previous thread http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddc37a0/4

I have found the command:

snmp-server group v3group v3 auth context vlan-1

that should be done for all vlan context names shown on the command sh snmp context. Does this command applies for all flavors of Spanning Tree configurations? All devices at this customer are using PVST and there are many, many VLANs.

User tracking must also work with SNMPV3.

Presently I have backtracked to SNMP V2 to mantain the Spannig Tree Vlan Filter app working.

Any help is appreciated

Robson

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It works provided the switches support the SNMPv3 contexts, and the context configuration is properly done.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you will need to configure access to each VLAN context before spanning tree features and User Tracking will work. There is no way to wildcard these, so you will have to configure each one individually. If you search the forum, I posted a TCL script that facilitates this, but the script only works with certain switches running certain versions of IOS.

The network uses VTP Transparent and not all switches have the same vlan set. Do you think its OK to make that group to vlan context designation even for vlans that do not exist on a particular switch? That would simplify the configuration, not needing to sort among the 100+ existing vlans for each switch. Just put the command for every vlan on every switch.

You can add access to contexts that do not exist on a device, but you need to make sure you're at least adding all of the contexts found in the output of "show snmp context" for each switch.

OK, that will simplify the configuration.

The last question: This Spanning Tree vlan Filtering sure works with SNMP V3 on LMS 2.6?

That was the most loved application for the customer and is working perfectly with SNMP V2.

It works provided the switches support the SNMPv3 contexts, and the context configuration is properly done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: