cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the proper way to interconnect between the 2 distro

nguyenvinnie
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 6509s to be configured as ditribution switch and I am looking for a proper way to inter-connect these 2 gigabit interfaces 9/15 and 9/16 on switch A and 9/15 - 9/16 on switch B.

I had the 2 gigabit interfaces configured as switch port and running HSRP on Vlan interfaces and that seems to work fine but when I tried to make these 2 interfaces as routed ports as suggested by a few, then HSRP having issues with Vlans except one. Should I go back to switching ports on 9/15 and 9/16?

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you are connecting the 2 switches only with these ports and you make the links routed links then HSRP will not work unless you have a layer 2 path between the 2 distribution switches via an access-layer switch.

Having HSRP run via the access-layer is not ideal anyway. What is the reasoning to make the 6509 interconnect a L3 link ?

Jon

If L3 link doesn't buy us anything then I will stay at l2 and keep HSPR.

The reason to make the interconnect L3 so that we can have both 6509s active at the same time and the servers can have dual NIC active as well.

Use HSRP and create multiple groups under each vlan interface. Seperate the traffic so both get used. You wont get 100% load balancing but it will work.

If your using L2 and 6500's then forget HSRP and go with GLBP. It ensures load-balancing.

Do you have a sample config of HSRP with multiple groups? I'm not sure how it's done.

In the mean time I will research on GLBL.