cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When VPN Client is active I can't work in my network

magicool73
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, when I connect with VPN client I can't anymore browse my network and therefore I can't print because the printer is on another PC.

Moreover I can't download or send messages via outlook.

On the other hand I can correctly browse the internet.

7 Replies 7

omar.elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

Yes that's right, it's because when you use the VPN client all Internet or network trafic will be sent through the VPN tunnel created between you and your VPN server.

About the internt browsing it depends on the server connection, if it's not well configured or there is troubles you cannot access the web correctely.

The solution is to use two LAN connections on you computer (where the VPN client is installed) like this you can use the second connection for the LAN trafic.

Hope that can help

blainsupplyMIS
Level 1
Level 1

1) Enable the "Allow Local LAN access" option in the VPN connection entry options. If this doesn't work see 2 & 3.

2) It's possible that the administrator of the VPN server setup your user/group's VPN connection to tunnel all traffic. So the VPN client basically changes your routing table so that all traffic is routed through your virtual VPN interface. This may or may not be corrected by option 3.

3) Modify your routing table after you establish a VPN connection so that access to your local LAN network is via your physical NIC IP address and that you access your remote network via your physical NIC IP address and also make sure your default gateway is on your local LAN.

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Andrea

Actually none of the above comments fully solves your problem. If you still have this issue, please post your config and let me solve the problem

Regards

Unless changing the routing table that cannot solve the problem?

omar.elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

It's configured on the VPN Server.

It can enable a split tunnel that it encrypt only a specified traffic and send other non encrypted.

If you can modifi or have access to it. I can send you commends that you can use.

mateenmohd
Level 1
Level 1

We also have same problem in our site office.

when users use vpn connect, mostly users

unable to browsing the internet, users

internet connection disconnected when users

connected with the vpn, why ?

What is the solution of above problem ?

what maximum bandwidth required approx 70 users ?

Thanks and regards

Mateen

Hello,

About users, you cannot fix a bandwidth depending on users number. But you have to know the rate of utilisations.

For exemple, if you are using VPN users only to get mail access, or some web access, it's less intensive than the case when you use that with real-time applications.

For Web and mail access, may be 512kbps or 1Mbps can be good for that.

Also, about the browsing!! when connected to a VPN server, for clients, the routing table changed, and by default all traffic will be destined to the other side of the tunnel. Unless if the server is configured to let clients use plit-tunnels ; that means that client encrypt only traffic going to the LAN connected to VPN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card