Views
Helpful
Replies

CUE and G.729

bigcappa1
Level 4
Level 4

Guys,

have set up a CM4.2 with CME and CUE of a 256K WAN link (sorry thats the limit). Have an issue with the CUE codec. If a caller on the CM4 calls a user on the CME and then get put through to Voicemail the call is dropped using the G729 codec. If I change the setup to g711 then all is ok. Anyone got any idea how to change the codec presented to the CUE on the CME router. Its has to go 729 over the WAN because of the link size.

cheers

P

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

CUE does not support G.729, and cannot be changed or configured to do so.

You could use transcoding to convert codec, however it's a more advanced configurations, there are many threads about it on the forum.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

Hope all is well with you :) This is surely a codec/transcoding issue here. CUE only does G711 and the calls are probably coming in G729a as you most correctly noted. There is a need in this setup for local Transcoding.

Codecs and Transcoding

Cisco Unity Express supports only G.711 voice streams, so all calls made into the system (including those from IP phones, PSTN gateway ports and any other VoIP equipment in your network) must use G.711 if they enter the AA or voice mail pilot numbers that terminate on Cisco Unity Express.

If you require that G.729A calls traverse IP segments of your network between sites, and that these calls forward or dial direct into Cisco Unity Express AA or voice mail, then you must use a transcoding resource collocated with Cisco Unity Express to change the voice stream from G.729A to G.711 before the voice stream enters the AA or ***voice mail pilot numbers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5520/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00804993c0.html#wp1011776

Hope this helps!

Rob

EDIT: Hi Paolo, as always you beat me to the punch with your superior knowledge and typing skills :)

Hi Rob,

Really, I'm neither fast nor more knowledgeable than you, I'm just more 'brief'.

Anedoctical story, once upon a time, I had a coworker, a very knowledgeable guy, named Curt. He was famous for his 'brief' answers, however when pressed, he would himself admit, that he was curt indeed :)

Beautiful!!! Great stuff Paolo. 5 points for your awesome participation here (and for a nice laugh today as well)

Take care my friend!

Rob

Rob,

Once again you come up with the goods. I had a further dig around and also came up with this link that appears pretty useful so will work using that as well

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00807f8b30.shtml

once again thansk for you swift support

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the very kind words and nice rating as well :) It is always nice to hear from you again. Your reference to "digging" up docs around here is too true!

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: