Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS

CSCO10758684
Level 1
Level 1

Hai All,

is there any option which i can change the ios from router to router .(with out using TFTP Server) ...

Pls help me

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

lijesh

On some models of router that use compact flash you might be able to change the IOS by changing the flash card to one with a different IOS.

And if you do not want TFTP there is an option to use FTP or RCP to transfer the image.

What is the issue that you are trying to address?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hai,

Thanks for the reply.I was trying to setting up a temp lab with 1700 series routers ...to run BGP.Only one router is having the IOS image that support BGP...Right now dont have a TFTP server and IOS image ....

so thouht is there any option if a routers are connected back to back Via Ethernet.(Pls fogive if this is a rubbish quiestion )

Awaiting your valiable suggestion

lijesh

I do not believe that it is a rubbish question. And the good news is that I believe that there is an alternative that will work for you. You can configure your 1700 router to function as a TFTP server and to serve the image file to the other 1700 routers. The configuration is quite simple:

tftp flash:

I have set it up on a 1721 and it works quite well. Note that this does not make the 1700 into a full TFTP server but it does allow it to serve its image file to other routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hai Rick,

I am really happy to see your reply .. first of all i never though that whis wud happen.

Tell me how do i can perform this

for eg ive connected two routers with Ethernet interface Router A has the IOS image which support BGP the other one (Router B) does not ... tell me how do i transfer the IOS image from Router A to Router B ....

in which router shud i use this command

tftp flash:

for Eg: if i use this in Router A .. how do i access this from Router B

Thanks once agin

i wud be happy if you cud expain step by step ..

lijesh

ok - step by step:

- if routerA is the one that has the image that does support BGP then routerA is the one where you configure tftp flash:

- then from frouterB you issue the command:

copy tftp: flash:

when you enter this command it will prompt you for the IP address of the server (and you give it the address of routerA on the back to back connection. Then it prompts you for the source file name - and you give it the file name of the image on routerA, and it prompts you for the file name of the destination and you accept the default which is the same as the source name. After you answers the prompts then routerB will copy the image from routerA.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hai Rick,

I have done the same but was failure ..for first time ...

after copying the ios .. i rebooted router A

but still showing the

version Version 12.2(4)YA2,

Router B has the image

Version 12.3(12e)

Router IOS image (Which i got #s flash )

c1700-y-mz.122-4.YA2.bin

Router A

c1700-y-mz.122-4.YA2.bin

flash file is shoing the same but not able to run BGP (Router A version showing the same )

Were i have mistaken pls help me

Thanks

Lijesh.N.C

Lijesh

It sounds like the copy tftp flash did not work. Perhaps you could post the output of show flash from both routers?

One thing to check is if there is enough room for the new image in the flash of router A. Router A is running an older image and an image with fewer capabilities. The image from router B is newer, has more capabilities, and almost certainly is larger. Make sure that flash on router A has enough room to contain the new image. The output of show flash from both routers will help to answer this question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hai Rick,

unfortunatly now both ios become the same ... 12.2 .... think some were i have done mistake .... now have to get a new ios .. i ve downloaded i ve tftp .. but dont know from were i can download a new ios ..

any was because of your help ..i was able to do so meny R&D which i have never done

once again thanks a lot ....can i ask for your email id ..if possible ....you can reach me ... ncliju@gmail.com

Regards

Lijesh.N.C

Lijesh

If you want my email ID it is available in my NetPro profile.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card