cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Schema considerations for Single domain over MPLS

fahim
Level 1
Level 1

Some time ago, The decision was taken by my corporation to shift to Single Domain AD Windows 2003 R2) model rather than the current multiple, parent child domains spanned across various eographical locations connected via VSAT/leased lines.

What will precede Single domain would be a Global WAN where one service provider will likely manage MPLS links across various office sites. The dedicated bandwidth will vary from 512K to 2mbps.

My recent concern is to think about designing an IP Schema for all locations spanning across UK/Gulf/Asian countries.

Some IT guys are of the opinion that we would assign IP addresses from the current pool at each location to the new servers and undertake migration. I feel that re-designing the whole IP Schema would be a better idea because the current one is very haphazard and and has evolved over time.

While I push for a new design, I need to take of security issues and future scalability at each location.

What all factors should I incorporate in my IP design in this scenario? Is there anything I have to take into consideration vis a vis MPLS backbone?

Does anyone has any experience in designing an IP schema for such a project?

All advise is welcome.

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

I would suggest going with a new IP schema.

Assign a pool of subnets to each geographical location. This would be a scalable design as the subnets could be summarized before it enters the core backbone. Make sure you allow for future growth at site as well

WAN link ip addresses can be assigned as a /30 from a seperate pool

No special consideration is required in terms of ip addressing when you run MPLS. Your SP may or may not assign the WAN ip addresses that will connect to your CE's

HTH

Narayan

narayan...I am trying to convince the team for going with a well thought out new IP schema but seems like the guys think it will be too much ti bite and insist on following what they are using already and just route the internally used subnets over the MPLS.

What all points exist if I NEED to make a case for a shiftover?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card