cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

some speed problem....trying to troubleshoot

MZydorczyk2
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so we have two labs and we are trying to send data between each and also within each lab. (The labs have Sun workstations in them.) When we transmit data between the machines in the one lab to machines in the same lab, the speed is fine. Also when we transmit data from either lab to the other lab, the speed is fine.

However, when we try transmitting data from one machine in the other lab to another machine in that same lab the speed is very slow.

We are also getting alot of input errors on the the ports that are connected to the machines in that lab with the slow speed. They include runts and CRC errors. Should I suspect the workstations first?

The operating system images are newer in the one lab so I asked that at least one machine in the "old" image lab be upgraded to the new image to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

6 Replies 6

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

I would recommend checking the Speed and Duplex configuration of the NICs across all hosts and switchports?

Ensure the you fixed the Speed duplex otherwise the duplex will fault back to half is unable to negotiate if left to auto.

If you have CRCs logging against both ports for the devices within the same lab then after you have verifed the speed and duplex end-to-end check the physical media, specifically the cabling.

When you run a show int command if the reliability is less 255/255 then I would suspect either duplex mismatch or a cabling issue.

Regards

Allan.

HTH.

Pls kindly rate this post if you find it helpful.

vinayakrishna
Level 1
Level 1

Try giving the "term monitor" command. It displays errors and you can easily find the cause for slow speed.

Also you can set the port settings to auto.

Please reply if this post is useful

Thanks for the advice. I will try this tuesday or wednesday and report my results.

I have tried hooking the computers to another switch and the speed is fine and I am getting no input errors. When I put the computers back on the original switch the speed was almost the same. However, on computer in the same room the speed was very slow. What can this mean?

And the faster transfers were only transferring at about 10Mbps but they are 100Mbps so I dont knwow why they are so slow.

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Have you considered configuring and connecting the hosts to different physical ports on the original switch?

It is possible that you may have physical hardware problems with the ports.

Regards

Allan.

HI, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

Please find the Attachment (.doc) for Switch - to - PC (Duplex and Speed Settings - Valid Configuation Table).

Could please follow this Valid Table and go ahead.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco