How much prep is required CCIE R&S Written?

Unanswered Question
Nov 9th, 2007

I've pretty much covered all of Routing TCP/IP Vol I and II with the exception of the multicast and IPv6 chapters. I feel I have a strong grasp of all the other topics (although it seems everytime I reread a chapter I learn something new)

So I'm wondering how hard is this test? I've read that the written shouldn't be sweated over too much as it's just to weed out the people who really aren't ready so they are only out the cost of the test instead of the lab.

Anyway of knowing, without taking the actual test, how prepared you actually are?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Danilo Dy Fri, 11/09/2007 - 20:44

Hi,

Just cover everything in the R&S Written blue print in theory as all practical is taken by R&S LAB (that is why there are two of them).

I passed it with 88% first time - 3 years back to recertify my professional certs.

When I was looking for materials in tech forums, I find it amusing for people preparing for R&S Written like preparing for R&S LAB studying the materials for R&S LAB. I was right when I gamble that R&S Written is purely theory.

Regards,

Dandy

Wilson Samuel Tue, 11/13/2007 - 08:15

Hi,

My humble suggestion for CCIE Written would be as below, which I passed on the 3rd attempt on Oct 27th 07:

1. Make sure everything on the Blue-Print is covered

2. Don't worry too much about the Routing TCP/IP Vol I and II (but make sure you go through them to understand what is it all about the IGP and BGP)

3. Make sure that you go through the BGP Case Studies, OSPF Design Guide and EIGRP case studies on cisco.com

4. Finally, for every point on the Blue Print, make sure that you read, study and understand whatever content you get on the cisco.com (namely the IOS Config Guides and few case studies and Design Guides) and you can make sure that you will be able to pass the exam.

If you want, I can paste the URLs for you.

Hope that helps,

Please rate all helpful posts.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Actions

This Discussion