cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP AP1000 restart repeated near every 1 minute

pt_wang
Level 1
Level 1

WLC 2006 work fine for 6 APs on two different location,now I take off one AP and install another new AP on aother WAN segment(DHCP option 43 setting for this AP etc..ok). But this AP restart repeated near every 1 minute.The debug show the this AP 802.11a,802.11b signal down then the AP doing new discovery.Any ideas?

7 Replies 7

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

do you still have addresses left? I have been burnt by that a couple of times when I thought the scope was built only to find it had 8 addresses defined and couldn't figure out why any subsequent AP's wouldn't connect.

also you said the option 43 stuff was correct but I would still double check the IP helper address on that vlan.

I would think about using DNS as well or static IP's for the AP's

I did setup the helper address on that vlan for DHCP server,and reserve one mac-to-IP for this AP.The DNS also has a A record for WLC.

I had reserved one mac-to-IP for this AP.How many IPs should be reserved on the DHCP server? The customer only give me one address for this AP,but only one AP on this vlan.

I'm trying to understand your question, but if you are defining 'reserved' as reserved for a static address in the same vlan as your active DHCP scope, then you only need the one for the AP.

you still need addresses for the clients, which you know already, but you should check to ensure that the scope is built and enough addresses are active and available

jakew
Level 1
Level 1

I assume all the APs are AP1000s right? If the AP is restarting about every minute, that indicates that there's an error somewhere in the LWAPP state machine between discovery and run states.

I'd advise you to walk through the LWAPP state machine to see where it breaks. First check that the LWAPP Discover is working correctly. The check the LWAPP Join process. You can do this via "debug lwapp events enable" on the CLI. You should see:

LWAPP Discovery Request from AP

WLC sending LWAPP Discovery response

then...

LWAPP Join Request from AP

WLC sending LWAPP Join response to AP

If you get this far, then the AP is probably running into an error downloading code or the config from the WLC.

You should also check to see how much latency you have in the WAN link...

All that being said, are you sure you don't have a bad AP?

To understand these processes that Jake has given you I am uploading a couple of files. Look these over and follow Jake's troubleshooting. Refer to LWAPP debugs sections of the configuration guide for your version of code.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card