cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ethernet keepalive

dragec
Level 1
Level 1

f I have two cisco routers connected over two switches (router1 - switch1 - switch2 - router2), is there a kind of keepalive mechanism or somethink like it, that would give me possibility to SEE on routers if link between switch1 and switch2 is broken.

4 Replies 4

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

I doubt if its possible. If its the only path between the 2 routers, then you may come to know of it when users start shouting.

If they are in same LAN & running routing protocol between them, neighbor updown messages will be generated on router.

But if its static routes, then configuring the devices in NMS or syslog seems to be the option.

Dragan

If you are looking at strictly layer 2 solutions then I do not believe that there is any layer 2 keepalive that can tell the routers that the link between the switches is not working. If you will look at layer 3 solutions then there are several possibilities. As BVS mentions a dynamic routing protocol running over that link would detect failures. Or you could configure Object Tracking to track reachability of the remote interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi

thanks for the info, where I can found more info on this object tracking

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card