cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4402 Basic configuration

cit-london
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WLC4402 connected to 2950 switch trunk port. The switch has 3 VLANs 300, 400 and 500. The AP Manager and Management interfaces are tagged on 500. I am using a 2600 router on a stick also connected to the 2950 through another trunk. The AP Manager and management IPs are 172.16.20.1 and 172.16.20.2. The 2 switch VLANs have an IP subnet 10.10.10.0/24 and 10.10.11.0/24. I can ping the Management interface a PC on either VLAN without a problem. As soon as I create a Dynamic interface mapped to an IP in either VLAN 300 or 400, the pings stop, unless I tag the dynamic interfaces with VLAN 500! I suspect this has to do with native VLAN on the trunk but can't figure out how to get the dynamic interfaces to work.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You want to keep vlan 500. If you leave this untagged then your management will be on vlan 1 which is not good practice. When you configure the switch port (trunk) to native vlan 500, it means that andy untagged frames will be put on vlan 500. The interfaces you create should be tagged....

Configure the management interface to "0" first then configure the trunk with native vlan 500. then go back and configure ap-manager to untagged "0".

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configure the management and ap-manager on the WLC to "0" (untagged) and configure the trunk port on the switch as native vlan 500.

-Scott

Thanks, I'll try this. But I'm just wondering, if I set the AP Manager and Management interfaces as 0 (untagged) then I've no need for VLAN 500? I was trying to follow the recommendation "Cisco recommends that only tagged VLANs be used on the controller." in document at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.1/configuration/guide/c41mint.html#wp1126765

You want to keep vlan 500. If you leave this untagged then your management will be on vlan 1 which is not good practice. When you configure the switch port (trunk) to native vlan 500, it means that andy untagged frames will be put on vlan 500. The interfaces you create should be tagged....

Configure the management interface to "0" first then configure the trunk with native vlan 500. then go back and configure ap-manager to untagged "0".

-Scott

Hi Scott, thanks I got it to work. I still can't figure out how to make the WLC work with the ap-manager and management interfaces tagged. For now it's not too important but I'll revisit it later. Cheers

I don't think you will be able to make it work, since the WLC doesn't like tagging. Also there is no reason you can't use the native vlan, which from the WLC to the switch will be untagged, but will be tagged from the switch to the core or distribution switch.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: