cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hash missing in enable mode can run configure terminal

cedric.spence
Level 1
Level 1

I recently followed the password recovery for a catalyst 4506 switch. Everything went ok but when I enter enable mode I don't get the # at the end. When I try to run configure terminal I get the error listed below. I need to know why the # is missing but I am in enable mode and why I can't use configure terminal.

Thanks

Console> en

Enter Password:

Console> (enable) configure terminal

This function provided by set commands. Use 'set help' for more info

Console> (enable)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Royal is correct that is a catos prompt so you need to know catos and all the "set" commands in order to configure . This has to be one of the early 4506's if it is a 4506 and not a 4006 as most 4506's are IOS based . The early ones did come with a sup II which was catos based. The other answer to your question that may be in your head is no you cannot change it to IOS without a new supervisor card. If you do a "show mod" you will see it is a SupII module and what versions software , it will be like 7.6.17 instead of like IOS where it a 12.2.25EWA10 or whatever.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

The device you are trying to log in has catalyst operating system (CATOS).

On these devices there is no # sign for the enable prompt but instead is shown as above and is an expected behavior :-). These devices use SET and Clear commands for configuration

HTH

Narayan

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Royal is correct that is a catos prompt so you need to know catos and all the "set" commands in order to configure . This has to be one of the early 4506's if it is a 4506 and not a 4006 as most 4506's are IOS based . The early ones did come with a sup II which was catos based. The other answer to your question that may be in your head is no you cannot change it to IOS without a new supervisor card. If you do a "show mod" you will see it is a SupII module and what versions software , it will be like 7.6.17 instead of like IOS where it a 12.2.25EWA10 or whatever.

I ran "show mod" got

1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X4013

the "show config" states

version 8.4(4)GLX

I have 4 modules installed with 48 ports each. I want to use the span command to forward all the traffic from those ports to one. Can I do this with one command span command to accomplish this task?

set span 2/1-48, 3/1-48, 4/1-48, 5/1-47 4/48

Another question can I upgrade the current version of CATos version 8.4(4)GLX to version 8.4(11)GLX. If so does it make a difference?

Any ideas where I can find a PDF using CATos?

I need to use tftp to copy the file to a computer on the LAN.

Thanks

that supervisor is indeed a SupII module . You can upgrade to the latest 8.4.X code if you want , it will give no added functionality mostly code fixes . I'm not sure why you want to span that many ports to one . Can you do it ? Sure but you run the high probability that you will vastly overun the port you are spanning to unless its a gig port then you may get away with it , all you have to do is think about it , you running all the data from 192 ports down to a single 100 or 1 gig port . It really depends on how much traffic your users generate.

Catos configs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

Can you tell me on a software that I can use to monitor the bandwidth of the switch and each port? I basically want to zero in on the machines that are producing high volumes of traffic. Thanks for the information on span didn't realize the consequences of spanning all the ports into one port and yes it was a lot of information even with ethereal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: