Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-3G-GSM Reports "SIM read failure"

jamessward
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have an 1841 running 12.4(15)T1 in which we just installed a new HWIC-3G-GSM. When the router boots the HWIC reports "SIM read failure". I've tested it with three known good SIMs from two different supported providers (Cingular and Wataniya). I'm running firmware v1.1.8.3 which supports both of our tested service providers (http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/networking_solutions_products_generic_content0900aecd80601f7e.html#~rest-of-world).

I'm fairly new to the Cisco world (just passed my CCNA last week) but I reviewed all the documentation I could find on the Cisco site and I can't find a cause for this issue.

Is the card defective or could this be user error?

Attached is output from the router for the HWIC-3G-GSM. NOTE the SIM chip was installed when this output was taken and yes it is a working SIM. I'm using that very same SIM in a different vendor's data card to post this message to the forum.

Thanks

~James

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

you may want to contact the tac on this, as it's a recent hardware, if they know of any software issue or take the hwic for replacement.

rtanner
Level 1
Level 1

In case you are still seeking the answer! You will need to unlock the SIM like you do when powering a cell phone on. This can be done through the modem interface (telnet to the line) and using the command

! disable PIN challenge

at+clck="SC",0,"1234" (note the quotes, and 1234 is the dummy PIN in this case)

ref:

http://www.sierrawireless.com/documents/support/2130213_GSM_AT_Command_Ref_r3.2.pdf

Although I think this can now be done in IOS, but I haven't a router on which to check.

regards, Ross

I was clearly wrong, as I didn't read the whole post. Sorry!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card