Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribute Static in EIGRP

amolak_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

As per my understanding following commands are required to redistribute static routes in EIGRP.

redistribute static

And we need to define metric using either set metrics on the "redistribute" command line, or we set a default-metric like below command.

default-metric 10000 1 255 1 1500

But I have observed in one Cisco 6506 L3 Switch it's configured only with the 'redistribute static' command and there was no explicit metric command defined here using metric or default-metric command.

But static route redistribution is working in network without defining the metric. I am not sure how it is working.

Is there any feature in new IOS images that defines some default metric in EIGRP for redistributed routes?

Following are the IOS details on this L3 Switch.

IOS - Version 12.1(8b)E18

image file - c6msfc2-psv-mz.121-8b.E18.bin

Please help me to understand.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Amolak

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Amolak,

When you redistribute a static route into EIGRP, it is not mandatory to specify the metric.

The routes are given the interface metrics while redistributing. For all other redistribution you are required to specify the metric either on the redistribute command directly or using the default-metric command

HTH

Narayan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Amolak,

When you redistribute a static route into EIGRP, it is not mandatory to specify the metric.

The routes are given the interface metrics while redistributing. For all other redistribution you are required to specify the metric either on the redistribute command directly or using the default-metric command

HTH

Narayan

Thanks a lot Narayan.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Amolak

Hi narayan.could u please explain the meaning

of "The routes are given the interface metrics while redistributing".I am confused.pls help

Selim

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card