CCSP Complete

Unanswered Question
Nov 12th, 2007

dear all

I have complete my CCSP Certification last couple of days before. I am greatfull and thanks to all for sharing Knowledge and advice many times.

I think certification conversation track is very much usefull area for prepare himself to sit a exam.

Thanks & Regrads

Biplob

Bangladesh

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
marksenteza Mon, 11/12/2007 - 02:38

Congratulations mate. I am almost there with my CCSP. Done 3/5 papers, and currently reading for the Securing Networks with Routers and Switches exam. I should have been through ages ago, but work and family have kept me busy, but i will definately get there, hopefully in the next 2-3 months

keller.oliver Tue, 11/13/2007 - 02:00

Hi Biplob,

congratulations on your exam !

If you like, you may post some tips for those who want to follow you. Since there are no up-to-date books on the exam, some hints on what to do besides waiting for the ciscopress update would be _very_ welcome :).

Best wishes,

Oliver

marksenteza Tue, 11/13/2007 - 02:22

True,

am currently studying for the SNRS exam (642-503), however, there doesnt seem to be a recent Cisco Press exam guide for this exam. I have been studying the Dec 2005 published SNRS Certification Exam Guide book by Greg Bastien, Sara Nasseh & Christian Abera Degu, however this book has a couple of missing topics specified in the exam topics for the exam on the Cisco site.

I know its specifies that its the exam guide for 642-502, but i cant find any guide for 642-503. How did you prepare for this exam ?

Mark

jeff.hardee Tue, 11/13/2007 - 11:00

Mark et al,

I think that, given the current SNRS title from Cisco Press is only a year old, it would still be a valuable study guide. I'm studying for this exam with this book as well but I'm already a CCSP. I want to take this exam to refresh my knowledge and to renew my cert as I work towards the MARS exam.

When I took the exam for this content years ago, it was called Securing Cisco IOS Networks (SECUR) and the Cisco Press books were ISBN #s 1587051516 & 1587200724. Although some of the content of SECUR was moved to the current SND exam, much of it was retained for the SNRS exam. Compare the Table of Contents on the SECUR and SNRS books and you'll see how closely they match. The differences are found in the new features of the latest IOS.

So I think we're all good using the 2006 book for SNRS. However, there have been enough minor updates for Cisco to change the exam number (as a minor release) and the 2006 book probably needs to be supplemented. I'm doing that by using Cicso.com primarily. You simply must become comfortable navigating the Cisco site for study and for implementation. Some links that would supplement the content of the SNRS book are:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6586/products_ios_technology_home.html

(Check out each link's product literature.)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_book09186a008043360a.html

(IOS security configuration guide for 12.4)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_command_reference_book09186a0080497056.html

(Security commands for IOS 12.4T)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2086/index.html

(CSACS)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080818537.html

(SDM)

These should be enough to get you started. I would recommend spending at least the same amount of time with Cisco.com as when reading the text. Some of the links will be a review of the text, but that's probably a good thing. Implementation scenarios would be useful to highlight, as would screen shots of security tools since they're clearer online than in the text.

I'd like to see a CCSP Prep Center created and I suspect Cisco is already in the process of creating it. But use of these discussion boards is always recommended, as are any exam drills from Cisco Press or other texts. I wouldn't take the exam until I could consistently score 90% on any practice tests.

Lastly, ideally, one should log many hours with hands-on practice using robust simulators or actual equipment. There's nothing like implementation and experimentation to drive home theory. Failing that, the above will help as would any current instructor-led course. They'll be using the latest student guide for the new exam number.

I hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

--Jeff

persepolis77 Wed, 11/14/2007 - 13:31

Here is an update from Ciscopress :

We will be publishing the new edition of this book in December that will

cover the 642-523 exam - 1587055422, CCSP SNPA Quick Reference (Digital

Short Cut)

and ISBN: ISBN 1587055120 - CCSP SNRS Quick Reference (Digital Short Cut)

keller.oliver Fri, 11/16/2007 - 01:39

Hi Jeff,

of course the book can be used, but from my recent experience I can tell that you need to be very aware of differences.

For example, the new CCNA curriculum features SDM, which never appeared in older versions. And there are other topics, too. Some technologies dropped out, like ISDN.

So in order to be really prepared, one would be in danger to learn unnecessary things (examwise) and not learn necessary things.

Since the exams changed for CCNP and there are new CCNP study and exam guides, I hope the same happen for CCSP.

The overlapping material between old and new may be 80 percent, but if you miss 20 percent of the new stuff, it's a thin line to the pass score ;).

However, for general studies I use older books all the time, like Stevens TCP/IP, all the CCNP practical study guides and some CCIE titles (Routing TCP/IP - great !)

Later,

Oliver

iqbalkhan Thu, 11/15/2007 - 02:35

Hi

Thanks to all. Before sit the exam start I do many hand on

experiment the cisco secuirty product which help me to much.

Beside Exam related product I study user guide and

Administartion guide. and also follow Cisco press book which

is very much helpfull.

Thanks

Bilob

Actions

This Discussion