cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of EIGRP neighbor

frank
Level 1
Level 1

How many EIGRP neighbors that IOS can support?

We are trying to build a 1500 nodes network and not sure if EIGRP can have that many neighbors or not. 99% of the remote sites will be stub.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KUANGYU

It was in presentation RST-2330 EIGRP Deployment in Large-Scale Networks at Networkers 2007. Distribution of these presentations is limited. If you attended Networkers 2007 then attendance includes a subscription to the presentations, or there is a paid subscription that Cisco offers. Or if you have a Cisco SE for your account they might be able to get the material.

Some of the things from the presentation that bear on your situation:

- they cite the largest number of EIGRP neighbors seen deployed in a live network was 800.

- they have tested the number of EIGRP neighbors up to 1800 in a lab environment.

- in a test with 1500 remotes dual homed, peering to NPE-G1 with 1G RAM at the head end it took 9 minutes to bring up/converge the network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

KUANGYU

There is not specific limit on how many EIGRP neighbors are supported in IOS. There are a number of variables which impact this which include what platform, what processor, how much memory on the processor, how many of the neighbors are stub, how many routes are advertised to the neighbor and received from the neighbor. There was a presentation at Networkers which I believed talked about 800 neighbors so I suspect that 1500 would be a stretch. Would your design have all 1500 nodes neighbor to a single router? That seems to me to be a pretty significant single point of failure. I would suggest that a better design would have the 1500 remote nodes neighbor to 2 or 3 head end routers which could share routes between themselves.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the reply, we will have 2 7206VXR head-end routers at hub sites and each remote will be connecting to both head-end routers for redundancy, so each head-end router will still have 1500 neighbors.

99% of remote will be stub and have less than 4 prefixes so the routing table shouldn't be too large.

Can you provide the URL for Networkers for 800 neighbors so I can share with my team and try to ask the client to add more head-end routers.

Thanks,

KUANGYU

It was in presentation RST-2330 EIGRP Deployment in Large-Scale Networks at Networkers 2007. Distribution of these presentations is limited. If you attended Networkers 2007 then attendance includes a subscription to the presentations, or there is a paid subscription that Cisco offers. Or if you have a Cisco SE for your account they might be able to get the material.

Some of the things from the presentation that bear on your situation:

- they cite the largest number of EIGRP neighbors seen deployed in a live network was 800.

- they have tested the number of EIGRP neighbors up to 1800 in a lab environment.

- in a test with 1500 remotes dual homed, peering to NPE-G1 with 1G RAM at the head end it took 9 minutes to bring up/converge the network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks again Rick, we will watch the performance while deploying the spokes and add more hub routers if needed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: