Views
Helpful
Replies

Query on EoMPLS

arun kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

I have a doubt in AToM Pseudowire.. I ve got a AToM pseudowire setup between my two PE routers with lastmile being on Ethernet sub-interfaces with VLAN tag on both the ends. I want to confirm while the packet traverses from PE1 to PE2, the VLAN tag (4 Bytes) will be carried over the packet i.e ( 1500+18+VLAN tag+ VC label+Tunnel label) .... Or PE1 will strip the VLAN tag and send the rest i.e (1500+18+VC label+Tunnel label)...

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Arun,

In this scenario, the vlan tag is indeed carried as part of the pseudowire payload.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Arun, everything is transported with ATOM except Preamble, SFD, FCS.

Exlcuding these 3 everything from your SA/DA to your TPID (vlan info) is transported from Local to Remote PE.

Also the remote PE can overwrite the received Vlan info if configured to do so.

In your setup there shouldnt be any concern regarding the vlan tags.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

manav.joshi
Level 1
Level 1

In a pseudowire vlan is always carried forward from local PE to remote PE

The only issue to look at is that the interface over which the packet would get switched have the right mtu size

1500+18+VLAN tag+ VC label+Tunnel label+CW(optional)=1518+4+4+4+4(opt)=1534

or

for double-tag

1500+18+c-VLAN tag+s-VLAN tags + VC label+Tunnel label+CW(optional)= 1518+4+4+4+4+4(opt)= 1538

Hence, if you have not implemented MPLS TE

all interfaces should be able to pass 1500 MTU size payload with interfaces configured for 1542.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: