cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

33.6 Kps fax rate with ATA's

SBCdd7343
Level 1
Level 1

Will a fax machine with a fax modem speed of 33.6 work with an ATA? I know ATA's can't handle more than 14400 bps. So will the fax machine automatically "reduce it's speed" down to what the ATA can handle?

5 Replies 5

jtattoo
Level 1
Level 1

Generally no. You have to manually set the Fax transmission rate. I have had it working at 28.8 before but there is really no need to go abouve 14.4.

Am I correct that even though the fax machine has a fax rate of 33.6, it will work without issue at lower speeds (which will be manually set on ATA)? Or do some fax machine not work at anything below default fax rate?

thanks

Most fax machines I have worked with will not negotiate the speed. They will try and connect at the rate specified. You may get the handshake at 33.3 but might not pass data for the fax.

Last question. I know that FXS ports will work with G3 faxes. Will the VG224' allow for 33.3 fax rates?

The VG224 is basically a 2600 with FXS ports. I often configure them as an h323 gateway and then treatedd it as standard FXS because it gives you more flexibility WRT DTMF and called party numbers. I have not tested faxing on a VG224 with G3, but i would say it would be a better bet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: