Views
Helpful
Replies

I need answers urgently please

justuniversity
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I need answers for the following 2 questions regarding Router 7304 with 7304-NPE-G100 engin

1) what is the maximum CPU and memory utilization that is not recommended to be exceeded?

2) is it concidered as a blocking device, i.e. it is forwarding capacity is less that the summation of bandwidth of available interfaces?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

1. Irrespective of the model, 75% of utilisation is considered to be alarming.

2. For answer to second point, pls refer this link. May be of some help

http://kb.pert.geant2.net/PERTKB/RouterHardwareLimits

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

1) what is the maximum CPU and memory utilization that is not recommended to be exceeded?

Ans. In any router, one must not exceed 65% - 75% CPU utilization and 80% of DRAM available, and this is the principle I apply to not only 7x00 routers but also to all routers in general.

2) is it concidered as a blocking device, i.e. it is forwarding capacity is less that the summation of bandwidth of available interfaces?

Though technically NPE-G100 provides 1mpps of throughput however I shall be skeptical to say that it can Route-Switch even on its 3* 1Gps ports.

However having said that it can comfortable chew a fairly great amount of traffic through it when its expressed in Mpps

HTH,

Please rate all helpful threads

hello,

I would like to thank you for your interest in my issue. Kindly find the attached pdf document that shows routers models and "Fast/CEF Switching" for each of them. It is written for the 7304-NPE-G100 a value of 562 Mbps and 1 MPPS. I would like to make sure that is this is the same as forwarding capacity of the router?

Thank you again for your time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card