cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM6.0, 7931 phone and multiple calls

mciarfello
Level 4
Level 4

7931 functionality question: I understand this is supposed to be a phone for key systems. Just trying to document certain feature / functionalities.

I am able to set the max calls and busy trigger to something greater than 1. I also am able to make two (or more) calls to the same DN.

How do I switch back and forth between the two (or more) calls like we do on the other types of phones?

The up and down "keys" end up scrolling through the other buttons on the phone. Not the three call instances.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cmonks
Level 1
Level 1

good question. I know what you mean.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_user_guide09186a00807b8cf2.html#wp38435

Manage Call Waiting

The 7931G is designed to work as a key system telephone with each button handling one call. Call waiting calls are normally presented on a separate line button. A new call can be answered by pressing the ringing button. The current call is automatically put on hold. You can toggle between callers by pressing the flashing line button; the current call is placed on hold automatically.

If you are on a call when a second call comes in, you hear a call-waiting tone or see a flashing indicator light on the handset rest, depending on the configuration of your phone, and the call appears on a separate line button.

To answer the new call, press the Answer soft key to answer the call. The call on the other line is automatically put on hold.

To return to the original call, press the line button of the original call to reconnect to it.

For calls on a separate line, press the Line button for the incoming call. The call on the other line is automatically put on hold.

To return to the original call, press the Line button associated with the original call.

So I just don't think it's designed to swap back and forth between call waiting calls. you have to end the second call to get back to the first.

So I just set this up on my box:

ephone-dn 20

number 220 no-reg primary

label 220

no huntstop

!

!

ephone-dn 21

label 220

preference 1

no huntstop

!

!

ephone-dn 22

label 220

preference 2

!

ephone 5

ephone-template 15

type 7931

button 1:10 2:20 3:21 4:22

!

So that allows calls to '220' to be picked up on buttons 2, 3 and 4. if a call is active on button 2, the new call rings on button 3. you can then switch back and forth by pressing 2 and 3.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

cmonks
Level 1
Level 1

good question. I know what you mean.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_user_guide09186a00807b8cf2.html#wp38435

Manage Call Waiting

The 7931G is designed to work as a key system telephone with each button handling one call. Call waiting calls are normally presented on a separate line button. A new call can be answered by pressing the ringing button. The current call is automatically put on hold. You can toggle between callers by pressing the flashing line button; the current call is placed on hold automatically.

If you are on a call when a second call comes in, you hear a call-waiting tone or see a flashing indicator light on the handset rest, depending on the configuration of your phone, and the call appears on a separate line button.

To answer the new call, press the Answer soft key to answer the call. The call on the other line is automatically put on hold.

To return to the original call, press the line button of the original call to reconnect to it.

For calls on a separate line, press the Line button for the incoming call. The call on the other line is automatically put on hold.

To return to the original call, press the Line button associated with the original call.

So I just don't think it's designed to swap back and forth between call waiting calls. you have to end the second call to get back to the first.

So I just set this up on my box:

ephone-dn 20

label 220

no huntstop

!

!

ephone-dn 21

label 220

preference 1

no huntstop

!

!

ephone-dn 22

label 220

preference 2

!

ephone 5

ephone-template 15

type 7931

button 1:10 2:20 3:21 4:22

!

So that allows calls to '220' to be picked up on buttons 2, 3 and 4. if a call is active on button 2, the new call rings on button 3. you can then switch back and forth by pressing 2 and 3.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Here is the answer from Conrad Price @ Cisco;

Conrad is a product manager in Cisco IP Communications. He is responsible for many aspects of the phone user interface for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G, 7971G, and 7931G models.

The 7931G was developed for the key system market, common in the retail and commercial space. It was developed in conjunction with the CUCME product team, and many of the features were implemented with a key system in mind.

A single call per line/button is the intended operation, with transfer and conference taking place across lines/buttons.

We wanted to have a large number of line keys, in a small form factor, for retail environments. In this environments, people tend not be so interested in voicemail, directory, and settings, or a large display screen. There is more interest in having a simple User Interface, with a line key light up when the call comes in, and very clear options to hold, transfer, or redial a call.

The phone required some changes to CUCM, and CUCM 6.0 is the first version to support the 7931G. The recommended configuration is to set any DN to have a max-calls of two, and busy-trigger 1, to operate in a key system style of operation.

From this recent Ask the Expert Event;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddead63

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I checked that out already before posting. But a good reference if someone else does a search for their question and gets an easier to find answer.

Rob,

has this been resolved? I have a shared line on a 7931 that takes a fair amount of call volume. Protocol in the school system I am working in is the following -

If you are on the phone and a new call comes in place that call on hold and answer the new call. Place that new call on hold and return to the original caller.

I cannot figure out a way to return to the original caller that was placed on hold. I have no way to select the 1st call. When I press resume it goes to the last caller placed on hold. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rudy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: