Unanswered Question
Nov 13th, 2007

What is the best way to get some hands on experience with the ccie. Also i saw this software called cisco interactive mentor how can i get it and is it any good. I need some sort of software video something thats interactive that i can gain real experience.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.7 (5 ratings)
Collin Clark Tue, 11/13/2007 - 13:15

CIM is very outdated so it may not help much (especially with the CCIE). They best way to get experience is with a personal lab or rack rentals. Google 'CCIE rack rental' or hit up Ebay and start looking for equipment.

HTH and please rate.

narbik Thu, 12/13/2007 - 17:38

The problem with that config is that the routers do not run the latest code and the switch that is recommended is NOT even on the CCIE hardware blue print. You should try 2611 XMs and 3550 and 3560 switches.

Narbik Kocharians

furqan_ahmed Sat, 12/15/2007 - 01:39

Could anyone tell me the PC/Laptop requirements or specifications for Dynamips?

so that topologies could be make according to workbook requirements and config could be running smoothly.

well most modern laptops with at least a duo core and 2gb of ram will work fine. the idle-pc and ios image will take some tweaking to run great on the laptop. xp works better than vista, and i have heard under linux specifically ubuntu it works amazing. just my 2 cents.. most topologies can be made to fit in dynamips internetwork expert and iementor has a workbook+topology geared for it. on the switch side some things you do need a real switch for but most router related things can be done within it

furqan_ahmed Sun, 12/16/2007 - 08:05

Thanks alot for your message. As you mentioned about idle PC, I have to clarify one thing, that do we need to have two pcs or laptops for it?

or we can do all stuff including topology design, ios and work on one system rather than having two ?

you can have 1 powerful/decent laptop or desktop to run the with the whole topology which has i think 12 devices 8 routers and 4 switches. also you can interconnect pcs to create larger topologies. Recently an IE that i talked to locally mentioned that they were able to scale to 24 laptops with 12 routers each.. or if you want to run it solo not on your laptop or desktop.. install it on a server then telnet to it

ellis_b Sat, 11/17/2007 - 21:49

I am NOT a big fan of simulators. I would go with dynamips and a few routers/switches to practice with at home. Here's a really cheap lab that you can do quite a bit with:

1x 2950 switch

3x 2501 routers

1x 2520 router (f.r.)

1x 2511 (terminal server)

you'd be amazed at what you can do with those devices and how little you'll actually spend.

Brad Ellis

CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)

CCSI# 30482

CEO / President

CCBOOTCAMP - A Cisco Sponsored Organization (SO)

Email: brad AT

Toll Free: 877-654-2243

Direct: +1-702-968-5100 = Outside the USA

FAX: +1-702-446-8012

YES! We take Cisco Learning Credits!

Training And Remote Racks:

This Discussion