Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure the FWSM with HSRP support

erdemmergen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we have 2 * 6500 series core switches with each FWSM installed.

There are some user VLANs (per floor) and lots of servers inside that belong to some other VLANs.

The core switches have been configured with HSRP redundancy (active/passive).

Nowadays i am challenging with FWSM configuration in routed mode.

There is no problem with typical configuration and tests,

i mean assigning VLANs to FWSM and removing IP adresses from MSFC.

But unfortunately whenever i do such a configuration, i naturally lose redundancy between the switches.

In our situation HSRP is a must.

Is there any way to solve this design issue in routed mode with HSRP support.?

Thanks,

Erdem.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Erdem,

(correct me if I'm wrong, Jon) - If you delete all SVIs you need of course route all traffic on the FWSM.

What we did was to create a transfer network (VLAN) with a SVI and the outside FWSM interface in it. Now the default gateway on the FWSM is set to the IP address of this SVI. So most of the routing is configured on the switch.

regards,

Juergen

View solution in original post

Erdem

Juergen is absolutely right. As long as you have a default route on your FWSM pointing to the MSFC then you can leave the statics as is.

So your FWSM has multiple vlans that it is protecting. You then connect the outside interface of your FWSM to the MSFC with L3 SVI and then your default route on the FWSM points to the L3 SVI.

Depending on whether you are running a routing protocol on the FWSM you may need to add static for the subnets behind your FWSM to the 6500 switch.

Jon

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Erdem

I'm not sure i understand. Are you not running the FWSM modules in active/standby configuration. In which case when you migrate the IP addresses to the FWSM from the MSFC you can apply a failover address to your standby FWSM. You only actually need 2 ip address unlike the 3 for HSRP eg.

vlan 10 on MSFC

HSRP address 192.168.5.1

real on switch 1 192.168.5.2

real on switch 2 192.168.5.3

on FWSM

ip address inside 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0 standby 192.168.5.2

Obviously for this to work you need to setup failover ie active/standby config first.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I have nothing running about FWSM at production environment yet.

I'm doing the tests on the standby core switch.

Currently, core switches have been configured and running with HSRP redundancy (active/passive)

and VLAN configurations are just like you have typed in the above example.

Our major purpose is to control and restrict inter-vlan communication.

Do i have to remove the whole HSRP config. from MSFC or is there a simple way to make the

traffic flow through the firewall with the VLAN config. that is already done.?

As i searched and understood, it is not possible in routed mode, am i right.? :)

Thanks for your support,

Erdem

Hi Erdem

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Yes in routed mode you would need to migrate all the HSRP config for the vlans you want to protect from the switch to the FWSM. You would need to delete the L3 SVI's for any vlans you were wanting to protect with the FWSM.

If you used the FWSM in transparent mode you could keep your HSRP config, use 2 vlans per subnet (or you look at bridge groups) and use the FWSM to brdige between the vlans.

Hope this makes sense

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply, almost everything is clarified in my mind.

Actually i would like to use transparent mode but as it is known, there is a major limitation about interfaces.

Defining only two interfaces (inside & outside) does not meet our requirements because we can't categorize

the whole local network as "users" and "servers" and then assign each VLAN to one of these interfaces.

That's why i have to use routed mode.

And one more question about static routes:

We have some static routes on the MSFC. Do i also have to migrate these routes to the FWSM

or leave them on the MSFC so that the MSFC will continue to do the routing facility.?

Regards,

Erdem

Hi Erdem,

(correct me if I'm wrong, Jon) - If you delete all SVIs you need of course route all traffic on the FWSM.

What we did was to create a transfer network (VLAN) with a SVI and the outside FWSM interface in it. Now the default gateway on the FWSM is set to the IP address of this SVI. So most of the routing is configured on the switch.

regards,

Juergen

Erdem

Juergen is absolutely right. As long as you have a default route on your FWSM pointing to the MSFC then you can leave the statics as is.

So your FWSM has multiple vlans that it is protecting. You then connect the outside interface of your FWSM to the MSFC with L3 SVI and then your default route on the FWSM points to the L3 SVI.

Depending on whether you are running a routing protocol on the FWSM you may need to add static for the subnets behind your FWSM to the 6500 switch.

Jon

Hi Juergen and Jon,

of course there will be a L3 SVI between FWSM and MSFC,

as a result there is no need to migrate the static routes to FWSM.

Now i have to do a detailed migration plan.

It's almost impossible to migrate all VLANs at the same time, so:

1. configure the FWSMs in active/standby mode.

2. Migrate the test VLANs and do the initial tests.

3. Migrate the IT department VLAN as a cavy for actual tests.:)

Considerations:

1. I have to enter some temporary static routes while the test process goes on,

because some VLANs will be behind the FWSM while the others will be in front.

2. The HSRP will remain in use during the tests.

Do you have any ideas or recommendations besides.?

Thank you very much dear friends,

Regards,

Erdem

What we did to have a fallback senario is to just "shutdown" the SVIs and give the FWSM interfaces the MSFC IP.

So you dont have to change anything on the client side. And if a problem comes up with the FWSM you can just "no shut" the SVI. (But know that I think about it, the MAC address would change so the client would need some time to use the new gateway?! We NEVER had problems ;-) )

About the routing: maybe you already tested that but what if you add all the static routes to the networks which later lie behind the FWSM.

At the moment they all have a SVI, right? Which means they are localy connected - and have a static route. If the SVI is shutdown the localy connected routes go down and the static routes you entered get active!?

besides that: I wish you good luck for the migration :-)

best regards,

Juergen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: