cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA 5.0 Editing Rule Generation

eaglesecure
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to edit the order or remove items from being generated?

This is from the help file. However, I am unable to find what is mentioned here.

any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Configuration view displays the status of all non-distributed database items with the name of the administrator who made the configuration changes. A Details link appears beside each edited configuration item. Click this link to view what modifications were made to the configuration in question. Once you've checked these modifications, you can either go back and change or delete configurations or you can click the Generate button (at the bottom of the page) to distribute all updates. The next time agents poll in, they receive the updated policies.

8 Replies 8

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

On the rule generation page (and in Audit Trail in 5.2), if there is a hyperlink in the entry, you can follow the link and delete the item before generating the rules.

You will not need to delete all items or have a deletion for every entry, just the ones that create new items.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

The problem I am having is that I have reached the complexity limit and am now no longer able to generate rules.

I need to remove unused literals to drop below the limit. But I am above the limit so I am unable to generate any rules to remove the literals.

Hi Jeff,

I think the limit includes variables, groups, etc.

If you delete enough rules and/or variables to fall below that limit, you should be able to generate the rules.

How did you determine that you were under the limit? Did you just do a search for all items?

You could export a bunch of stuff, combine some rules delete any duplicates, delete the exported stuff and then try generating the rules again.

I haven't had this problem but others have and they seem to have fixed it by doing this.

Tom

Tom,

When I attempt to generate rules I get hit with an error saying "Error 1...complexity 7802 which exceeds the maximum of 7500"

The problem that I am having is that after deleting or combining rules I still need to generate them. But everytime I attempt to generate new rules to officially delete the rules I get hit with the error. So I am stuck not being able to generate any rules.

thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, it sounds like you are almost there

but are still 302 items over the limit.

It should allow you to delete the items from the database and then generate rules after you fall below that number.

I don't believe it does the complexity check (item count) until it tries to generate the rules.

Try what I suggested in my previous post and see if it works.

Tom

I did attempt what you had mentioned and I believe that those suggestions would work.

However, when you go to generate your rules they are listed in order 1, 2, 3, 4... and so on. my 1st couple of rules would all add on more complexity points. and the next 50 rules would all remove complexity points.

My guess is that because they are in this order vms is trying to generate the rules in order and then seeing that it is already above the limit and then erroring out.

I didnt know if there was something I could do with out needing to generate the rules or if there was a away that I could clear the queue. I have made numerous attempts to lower this complexity limit however everytime it errors out saying that I am 302 items over.

Thank you for your help on this it is greatly appreciated.

Has anyone else had this type of error before?

Tom,

You were correct.

I checked my rules again and noticed that I still had a rule that was trying to create new items.

Once I followed the link and deleted the item and the rules generated successfully.

Thank you for all your help with this.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, glad to hear it worked for you.

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card