Views
Helpful
Replies

12.2 SR SUP 32 MPLS

prakashj
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I am planning to use SUP32 with 12.2SR IOS in one of my distribution switches. We have WS-6408A-GBIC and WS-6516A-GBIC modules without any DFC. Can I have MPLS VPN and EoMPLS support on this box.

Thanks,

Prakash

5 Replies 5

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Prakash, you can definately run both MPLS VPN and EOMPLS with your current hardware configuration.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Thanks Swaroop,

But I have seen that 12.2SR IOS has some restrictions and it has to match some hardware specs to run MPLS. Have you experienced any such issues...? I know that 12.2SX will work but need to confirm on 12.2SR.

Prakash

Prakash, I am not aware of any restrcitions for MPLS or Eompls with 12.2SR and SUP32.

Except for Eompls with SVI where you would need a OSM/SIP/ES-20 facing the core, for the router to receive and switch the frames as MPLS packets.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

We had an issue with SUP720-3BXL..one of the card in the chassis was having DFC3A...so when we upgraded to 12.2SR from 12.2SX none of the MPLS commands were recognized. We had to change the card to have DFC3BXL. Then all the MPLS commands were recognized in 12.2SR.

I was just wondering whether we will encounter the same issue with 12.2SR in SUP32 as 6408 and 6516 does not have PFC-3B. But SUP32 has PFC-3B.

Mainly I need to run only MPLS VPN.

Thanks,

Prakash

Prakash,

this is more of a existing hardware compatibility or conflict issue.

When you have DFC3A/B/C in a system, then the system operation is carried out going by the lowest version of the DFC. For eg if you ave a DFCA(LC) and a DFCB(Sup) the system will operate in DFCA mode which does not support MPLS.

I would suggest that you can check with your Cisco rep, what is the compatibility of your existing cards and the SUP32, and what would be the net operating effect. If the effect is DFC3A then MPLS wont be supported, it its not then it will be.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: