cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 vs 2960

mmastroianni
Level 1
Level 1

I went to order additional 2950's and the reseller told me they are EOL. He proposed a 2960 instead. Are they compatible? On the web tey look like they use a different Gbic. What do you think?

Mike

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mike-

That is correct, the 2950's are EoL and their direct replacement is the 2960. You are also correct that they now support SFP's instead of GBIC's.

HTH and please rate.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 2960 is the same with a better processor . i'm sure they have have added better QOS, COs features also for the 2960.Instead of full size gbics they now use SFP's or small form pluggables which is a fancy name for a smaller gbic interface.

Hi - We have 100+ of these throughout our organization and they have worked great. Depending on the requirements that our company needs will determine the model with “fixed Ethernet 10/100/1000 uplink ports” or “Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports which are dual-purpose”. I hope this helps in your decision.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card