cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading to 3750 Switch...config help?

donbrinkley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, this is my first time posting out here and i'm hoping i can find a bit of help. We've recently purchased 18 new 3750s to replace our 3548s and i've been tasked to swap them out if possible. I have some knowledge of switching and the Cisco CLI, but i've never done a full upgrade from one to another before. I'm hoping to be able to figure this out so we can save some $$ by not having to have Cisco come in and install them, plus i'd really like to learn this to know how to do it on my own. Is there a good walkthrough for upgrading from one to another? I'm assuming i can't simply copy the config from one to the other as there are most likely new commands or some have been moved, etc. I simply want the new switches to have the same config and do the exact thing as the current ones. Any help you can give to point me in the right direction of how to proceed will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Don

1 Reply 1

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

Don,

You'll have to first find an equivalent IOS release for the 3750. SSH/IP Services, etc, whatever the base level features you are using on the 3548s need to be included in the newest 3750 IOS release. Also, look at the open and resolved Caveats for the IOS tree you need.

We find comfort in not using the bleeding-edge release of IOS.

After all that, on the 3750, clear the current configuration, if any. Usually a delete startup-config should do it, then reboot.

When the router comes up look at each configuration line in the 3548, open up the on-line IOS docs for the 3750 release you selected, find the relative command, or it's newest equivalence, and pound in the config lines one at a time attending to any errors that might be announce at the console.

It really boild down to read, read, read, test, test, understamd, read. There's really no good short-cuts or auto magic tools.

Bill

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card