Helpful
Replies

T1 Wan interface question

kjackson74
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what I have:

rtrCore--rtrT1Core--T1rtr--SW

If I ping to the t1 interface on T1rtr, I get horrible response. It will reply, reply, request timed out...no real pattern, but over 50% of the packets are lost. If I ping to the Lan side of the t1rtr, no packets are lost. How can that be?

I have read through some of the posts, and I checked to see if I had two routes to the T1 Wan interface. If I am on the rtrT1Core and ping to the T1rtr, it seems to go through fine. If I am on the rtrcore and ping to the T1rtr, I get hit and miss responses.

My main question, though, is why isn't the LAN side of the T1rtr also showing half the packets dropped? That is what is driving me crazy.

Thanks,

Kari

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Is that T1 a Frame Relay connection?

Did you do a Frame-Relay Map statement for the address that resides on the WAN interface?

If not, the ping is going all the way to the other side, then being redirected back to the sending router.

Ping is also a fairly low priority. How much other traffic are you sending through that link?

What do the buffers look like?

Do you have any QOS applied to that interface?

(post a sanitized config, please)

Good Luck

Scott

No QoS. Really a very basic config. Not many people out at this site. I would say less than 10, so I can't imagine there being that much traffic. Plus, if there was a lot of traffic, wouldn't the ping response on the LAN side be horrible too? If I ping 172.21.34.1 I get a steady reply. If I ping 172.21.0.250, it is 50% packet loss. If they were both horrible, I would understand. My problem is they are not both horrible.

I don't know how to check the buffers.

Thanks

Kari

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card